Golden Acre Park Trains

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

thanks to other SL folk who led me here.North Bay Railway Company in Scarborough have the 2 Golden Acre Park Trains, now known as Poisedon and Robin Hood.I've become a minature train spotter.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is currently a short stretch of train track (and a stretch that looks like it had track) close to the main building at Golden Acre Park. I wonder if it is a remains of the old track?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Leodian wrote: There is currently a short stretch of train track (and a stretch that looks like it had track) close to the main building at Golden Acre Park. I wonder if it is a remains of the old track? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is part of the original track which was discovered in undergrowth but I might be wrong as I can't find the source of this information. Certainly the remains of the platform are original.I've just found this wonderful piece of film in the Yorkshire Film Archive, dating from 1937. Although the title says that it is filmed at Roundhay Park and Golden Acre Park, this section of the film involves only Golden Acre Park and starts with the railway journey and shows the Parkway and Woodend stations, ending at the platform which now forms the railway garden. From another forum, I've learned that the loco is the Robin Hood.http://www.yfaonline.com/node/7135

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Tasa wrote: Leodian wrote: There is currently a short stretch of train track (and a stretch that looks like it had track) close to the main building at Golden Acre Park. I wonder if it is a remains of the old track? I'm sure I read somewhere that it is part of the original track which was discovered in undergrowth but I might be wrong as I can't find the source of this information. Certainly the remains of the platform are original.I've just found this wonderful piece of film in the Yorkshire Film Archive, dating from 1937. Although the title says that it is filmed at Roundhay Park and Golden Acre Park, this section of the film involves only Golden Acre Park and starts with the railway journey and shows the Parkway and Woodend stations, ending at the platform which now forms the railway garden. From another forum, I've learned that the loco is the Robin Hood.http://www.yfaonline.com/node/7135 I wonder what happened to the large turnable globe in the paddling pool seen near the end?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: There is currently a short stretch of train track (and a stretch that looks like it had track) close to the main building at Golden Acre Park. I wonder if it is a remains of the old track? Leo hiThe visible track, sleepers etc is new/2nd hand build.But the 'station' platform to the lower part of the cafe terrace is original, spruced up and that is where the stop was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: There is currently a short stretch of train track (and a stretch that looks like it had track) close to the main building at Golden Acre Park. I wonder if it is a remains of the old track? Leo hiThe visible track, sleepers etc is new/2nd hand build.But the 'station' platform to the lower part of the cafe terrace is original, spruced up and that is where the stop was. Cheers Jogon.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leeds: Lakeside Station. Golden Acre Park. Otley Rd. 1930s.The railway circled the lake for a little over a mile on a 20 inch gauge track...there were three stations, Lakeside near the park entrance, where most journeys started, Woodview and Woodend... there were also footbridges and a tunnel to add interest. The two engines were diesel powered steam outline designs, both built by Hudswell Clarke of Leeds..' Robin Hood ' was delivered in 1932 and ' May Thompson in the following year.Passengers travelled in open carriages, a dining car was added in 1935, paying sixpence for a round trip....The end came with the closure of the park in 1938, the fate of the track is not known, a collection of station signs found no buyer..Photo and text.... M. Hodgson.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Great video/cine.Very interesting. May have to take a trip to Scarborough again sometime to see it/them in the metal, lol.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Hope the writing can be read ! if not, click on the picture. Taken in June 2013.PC    
Attachments
golden acre railway.jpg
golden acre railway.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 6796 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Croggy1 wrote: Great video/cine.Very interesting. May have to take a trip to Scarborough again sometime to see it/them in the metal, lol. Suggest hiring an SL bus for a 'SL historical club trip'I'll get a crate of Melbourne Ales, Blakey dust down that Setright....