Soldiers Field

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Chiron

Post by Chiron »

Is anyone aware of pictures of Soldiers Field when it was used by the army or later as a sports field?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I have seen some out there, leodis didnt seem to.As a 60's kid we used to enjoy the Army display and try the kit (no ammo). From this I know how to change barrels on a Bren. Trying an army digger I realised (they hadnt) that if I revolved the 'cab' the arm would reach a nearby tree and pulled a decent sized branch off.The 'Stalwart' was then fave vehicle for schoolboys.

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

Jogon wrote: I have seen some out there, leodis didnt seem to.As a 60's kid we used to enjoy the Army display and try the kit (no ammo). From this I know how to change barrels on a Bren. Trying an army digger I realised (they hadnt) that if I revolved the 'cab' the arm would reach a nearby tree and pulled a decent sized branch off.The 'Stalwart' was then fave vehicle for schoolboys. It is surprising that it is so difficult to find photographs still existing. I played rugby on Soldiers Field in the 60s but apart from one or two team photographs that really just show the team I have not managed to locate any others.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

There are a few threads on here which may interest -http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

chameleon wrote: There are a few threads on here which may interest -http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1 Thanks these threads are fascinating. A year or so ago I attempted to find out what happened to Soldiers Field during WW2 but with no success. I was researching a book about Leeds Chirons, who played on Soldiers Field, and was interested in why the club closed down in 1939. I assumed that it was because Soldiers Field wasn't available as it being used by the Military, but I couldn't confirm that.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Chiron,Although everyone in Leeds knows these 'fields' as 'Soldier's Field', on many maps it is referred to as 'Military Field', so when you research the topic it is worth checking both variations.Ian

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chiron wrote: chameleon wrote: There are a few threads on here which may interest -http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1 Thanks these threads are fascinating. A year or so ago I attempted to find out what happened to Soldiers Field during WW2 but with no success. I was researching a book about Leeds Chirons, who played on Soldiers Field, and was interested in why the club closed down in 1939. I assumed that it was because Soldiers Field wasn't available as it being used by the Military, but I couldn't confirm that. Have you found the hidden road, gun enplacement and air raed shelter? They are there to be found if you visit.

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Chiron,Although everyone in Leeds knows these 'fields' as 'Soldier's Field', on many maps it is referred to as 'Military Field', so when you research the topic it is worth checking both variations.Ian Thanks. I did try the Military Field title. When Chirons first played there(1925) the match reports referred to playing on the 'Military Field.' Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find out when the name changed to Soldiers Field. I am sure there must be references in Council records so perhaps they would be the best source of information.

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

chameleon wrote: Chiron wrote: chameleon wrote: There are a few threads on here which may interest -http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1 Thanks these threads are fascinating. A year or so ago I attempted to find out what happened to Soldiers Field during WW2 but with no success. I was researching a book about Leeds Chirons, who played on Soldiers Field, and was interested in why the club closed down in 1939. I assumed that it was because Soldiers Field wasn't available as it being used by the Military, but I couldn't confirm that. Have you found the hidden road, gun enplacement and air raed shelter? They are there to be found if you visit. I haven't found them. Any clues?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chiron wrote: chameleon wrote: Chiron wrote: chameleon wrote: There are a few threads on here which may interest -http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1 Thanks these threads are fascinating. A year or so ago I attempted to find out what happened to Soldiers Field during WW2 but with no success. I was researching a book about Leeds Chirons, who played on Soldiers Field, and was interested in why the club closed down in 1939. I assumed that it was because Soldiers Field wasn't available as it being used by the Military, but I couldn't confirm that. Have you found the hidden road, gun enplacement and air raed shelter? They are there to be found if you visit. I haven't found them. Any clues? It's all in those and other threads, keep looking for now!