Sammy Woods, Seacroft

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Just a thought is there a Samuel Woods residing in the area at the time?
Hunslet born and bread

linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

The Parksider wrote: linley1066 wrote: Got this in an email from my mum the other day, it was a family member who had emailed her a few years back, but she couldn't get any further with the location. I think I've seeb the pub on google earth, though the trees behind it are not named."Sammy woods Is just past a pub on your left as you leave whinmoor on the A64 towards York, If I recall correctly and I think it is mentioned on recent maps."Hoping someone lives near thw pub and may be able to commentThanks Can't see a wood named on any OS map, nearest "wood" is a few trees marked in a square just by the Old Red Lion so that location fits.The acount of the battle was great.... That's the one from the email my mum rec'd from what I have been able to work out, didn't know the name of the pub, so thanks for that. Looks like i'm gonna have to come down and check out the central library, as mum seems to think that is where the relative had found his info, needle in a haystack time, trying to find that book.

linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

Tyke wrote: Just a thought is there a Samuel Woods residing in the area at the time? There was from the info bounced around a Sammy House, but wether that was from a forname or surname or even named after the woods I have no idea, looks like library time, when I can fit it in.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Given that parish records were perforce handwritten at the time, could this have been read incorrectly and should be 'Saw Wood'?Saw Wood is the first wood you pass as you exit Leeds on the A64. It did exist before the time in question. http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /8513.html Geordie, your post reminds me that I completely forgot to post a contribution from Mrs C. in which you will see she drew the same conclusion that you have arrived at. Certainly there is nothing known to us as sams wood nor does ther appear to have been anyone residing in the area named Sam Wood -William Linlay William Linley/Linlay is generally recorded as having been born around 1709, the son of Thomas Linley and Sarah Thompson.William Linley, yeo, and Mary Asquith spinster were married by Banns Dec 11th 1735 at Whitkirk (St Mary’s), Leeds.He is recorded in the Burial registers of Whitkirk (St Mary’s) as follows: May 1st (1761) William Linlay of Seacroft who was found dead, hanging in a Tree in a certain wood nigh Seacroft called Sammy Wood; supposed to have laid violent hands on himself………… The next entry reads June 1 John Linlay of Seacroft.While William and John are recorded as ‘of Seacroft’ the woods are near or nigh Seacroft: the use of this word thus logically excludes any wooded areas in Seacroft itself.The nearest significant wood is a mile or so east of the village on the York Road. This is Saw Wood adjacent to the edge of the Bramham Estate. It is conceivable that the name has been corrupted in spelling or pronunciation over time to become heard as Sammy.Prior to an Act of 1823, if a death was considered to be a suicide (in 1761) the burial might have taken place in ‘unhallowed’ ground, for example at a crossroads – many theories are suggested for this choice of location, the kindest appears to think that the unfortunate is still buried by a cross of a more earthly nature. With this in mind, I wonder why the Burial register comments as it does.The 1823 Act (England) ordered that the burial of someone found to have committed suicide (felo de se, or ‘murder of himself’) should take place within 24 hours of the Coroners Inquest*. The burial to take place between 9pm and 12 midnight, in unconsecrated ground (which was provided by law in all burying places) and without a religious service. I would assume that any death prior to 1823 which necessitated an Inquest would also take place within a very short time of a death being discovered.*The Office of Coroner was established in 1194. A person who found a body from a death thought sudden or unnatural was required to notify a Coroner. Unfortunately, according to The National Archives, Coroners inquest records are incomplete and kept in a variety of Archives – see their webpage for more info - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... sts.htmThe Leeds Local and Family History Library (http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Leisure_and_cul ... itage.aspx)and the University of York (http://www.york.ac.uk/library/collections/newspapers/#l)have microfilm copies of the Leeds Mercury from 1738 to 1939 where you may perhaps find some reference to William’s suicide or inquest?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: linley1066 wrote: Got this in an email from my mum the other day, it was a family member who had emailed her a few years back, but she couldn't get any further with the location. I think I've seeb the pub on google earth, though the trees behind it are not named."Sammy woods Is just past a pub on your left as you leave whinmoor on the A64 towards York, If I recall correctly and I think it is mentioned on recent maps."Hoping someone lives near thw pub and may be able to commentThanks Can't see a wood named on any OS map, nearest "wood" is a few trees marked in a square just by the Old Red Lion so that location fits.The acount of the battle was great.... About a mile further on Parkie - home of the 'Red Bus Cafe', on the left twix Scholes and Kiddal Lane.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Why, that Mrs C is a very intelligent lady! Glad you posted that - I thought I'd gone invisible. And what a wealth of information you've dug up.Saw Wood is plainly visible on Google maps.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Found some parish records for Whitkirk which were published, but in the 1671 record no one named Linlay/ey is mentioned. http://www.archive.org/stream/recordspa ... rch/buried

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Thanks Geordie I'll pass that on. The Linlay name is connected to my family with roots in old Seacroft so there was head start.As for digging stuff up - It was worrying the day she and a like minded friend left to visit one graveyard with spades in hand, though I'm assured these were to assist with looking at fallen headstones.....