Sammy Woods, Seacroft

The green spaces and places of Leeds
linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

Does anyone know the location of Sammy Woods in Seacroft?My reason for trying to locate it is:William Linley was found hanging from a tree Nigh to sammy woods, Seacroft on 1st May 1761He was my 6 x Great GrandfatherAny help would be greatly appreciatedThanks

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

No such place I'm afraid, or at least I've never heard of it in all my years, and Seacroft was my old boyhood stomping ground.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

No just like Phil, I have never heard of it.Considering the date referred to, 1761, however I thought that there may be a chance it is recorded on the Tithe MapsSee http://www.tracksintime.wyjs.org.uk/There are not any woods in the Seacroft area recorded other than Far Swartcliff Wood: http://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/TwinMaps. ... p.RD_RT207 [cut and paste the lot]which was laterly known as Great Swartcliff Plantation [there was as well Fox Wood and Lime Pit Woods which were effectively areas of despoiled land from iron/coal and lime workings]. There are no tithe titles with the name Sammy (or 'soundex' names) in the Seacroft TownshipThis is not that surprising as much of the native woodland was cleared for charcoal burning for the medieval iron industryThere is however a Sammy Close in Coldcotes township http://tithemaps.leeds.gov.uk/TwinMaps. ... my!x.0!map.[cut and paste the lot]which must be located somewhere very close to the junction of Foundary Approach and Oak Tree Drive.Pure speculation but is possible that there was woods adjacent that shared the same name in 1761?

linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

Well all I have to go on, is the Burial entry from Whitkirk St Mary's which readsMay 1st William Linlay of Seacroft who was found dead, hanging in a tree, in a certain wood, nigh Seacroft called Sammy Wood; supposed to have laid violent hands on himselfI guess the wood could be in one of the areas next to Seacroft as it was back in 1761, and it may be the wood either no longer exists or it may have been a local name for a wood. I was told that there was once a Sammy hall or farm in or next to the wood, but haven't been a able to confirm this as yet.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

linley1066 wrote: Well all I have to go on, is the Burial entry from Whitkirk St Mary's which readsMay 1st William Linlay of Seacroft who was found dead, hanging in a tree, in a certain wood, nigh Seacroft called Sammy Wood; supposed to have laid violent hands on himselfI guess the wood could be in one of the areas next to Seacroft as it was back in 1761, and it may be the wood either no longer exists or it may have been a local name for a wood. I was told that there was once a Sammy hall or farm in or next to the wood, but haven't been a able to confirm this as yet. Foxwood, Low Wood, Limewood etc but no Sammy Wood.Not sure about the farm, but I wouldn't hang on the idea that it must be on a map to exist as you indicate.I'm sure the good people of seacroft would have had their own names for Great Swarclife Plantation and the Little version.I am pretty sure the kids when asked "where've yer been" by their mums all those years ago would not have said "Mater dear I have been over in Great Swarcliffe Plantation".My guess like yours is Sammy wood is a local name for that.....

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

linley1066 wrote: May 1st William Linlay of Seacroft who was found dead, hanging in a tree, in a certain wood, nigh Seacroft called Sammy Wood; supposed to have laid violent hands on himself Going OT but my interpretation of that is suspected suicide so it surprises me that he would be buried in consecrated ground.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

tyke bhoy wrote: linley1066 wrote: May 1st William Linlay of Seacroft who was found dead, hanging in a tree, in a certain wood, nigh Seacroft called Sammy Wood; supposed to have laid violent hands on himself Going OT but my interpretation of that is suspected suicide so it surprises me that he would be buried in consecrated ground. It was indeed suspected suicide as I have seen the "laid violent hands on himself" a few times and all investigations state it was the term used for suicide. But his burial is, with the above statement, in the burial register for St Mary's church Whitkirk, which at the time was the "Parish Church" where almost all burials took place. I haven't as yet had the opportunity to vist either St Mary's Whitkirk or St James Seacroft where most of my Linley ancestors are buried to take photo's of the head stones, and confirm if William was buried in an unmarked grave for his sins.

linley1066

Post by linley1066 »

Got this in an email from my mum the other day, it was a family member who had emailed her a few years back, but she couldn't get any further with the location. I think I've seeb the pub on google earth, though the trees behind it are not named."Sammy woods Is just past a pub on your left as you leave whinmoor on the A64 towards York, If I recall correctly and I think it is mentioned on recent maps."Hoping someone lives near thw pub and may be able to commentThanks

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Given that parish records were perforce handwritten at the time, could this have been read incorrectly and should be 'Saw Wood'?Saw Wood is the first wood you pass as you exit Leeds on the A64. It did exist before the time in question. http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /8513.html

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

linley1066 wrote: Got this in an email from my mum the other day, it was a family member who had emailed her a few years back, but she couldn't get any further with the location. I think I've seeb the pub on google earth, though the trees behind it are not named."Sammy woods Is just past a pub on your left as you leave whinmoor on the A64 towards York, If I recall correctly and I think it is mentioned on recent maps."Hoping someone lives near thw pub and may be able to commentThanks Can't see a wood named on any OS map, nearest "wood" is a few trees marked in a square just by the Old Red Lion so that location fits.The acount of the battle was great....