Were there once some buildings at this site off Scott Hall Road.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: That's that one sorted then in just over an hour That's what I expected from the knowledgeable SL folk.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,As a young child, I lived in Woodhouse and I often used to visit my grandmother's house, with my parents, by walking down to the Primrose Junction, up Buslingthorpe Lane and opposite the Springhill Tavern, there were some steps that led up to some waste land that was at the rear of Scott Hall Drive. There were always horses tethered in this area. As a young boy, it was a bit of a novelty for me. There is a possible explanation for horses being tethered in the area.For as long as I can remember, there was always a scrap yard in Meanwood Road, not far from the Primrose Junction (Meanwood Road/Buslingthorpe Lane). The scrap yard was owned by Arthur Burgess Hall. He was a registered scrap metal dealer and he also dealt in rags. Later, he also dealt in scrap cars and car parts. All of the local tatters (rag-a-bone men) used to 'weigh in' at Arthur's yard and had horses and carts. Alot of these people lived in the local area and particularly on the Scott Hall council estate, including Arthur's brother, Kenneth Burgess Hall (also nicknamed 'Smokey Hall'). The land behind Scott Hall Drive, at the top of Sugar Well Hill, and behind the playing fields would be the obvious place for the tatters to tether their horses. I don't recall ever seeing any gypsies in that area.Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Ian.Ah, Rag & Bone men (I can't recall ever seeing a Rag & Bone woman!). I haven't seen a Rag & Bone man for some years, though I expect there are still some around. Nowadays though it's blokes with small lorries driving around then searching through skips outside homes looking for anything worth taking!PS. I had a hope that the circles may be unknown and that Time Team would get there. No doubt Phil would find some flint or whatever to get excited over.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Are these crop circles? Are they landing sites for Alien spacecraft? Or maybe just maybe from tethered horses
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Aren't they something to do with the alignment of Orion with the Mechanics institute?

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Leodian,As a young child, ................ I don't recall ever seeing any gypsies in that area.Ian I vaguely remember back in the 1950s gypsies camping on the waste ground West of Scott Hall Road between Potternewton Crescent and Scott Hall Grove. They were in the traditional 'Romany(?)' horse drawn caravans. They used to stay a few days. Whilst there the gipsy women would go around the local area door to door selling pegs, lucky heather etc. I remember them visiting a few times during my childhood but I cannot remember whether it was annually.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

LEODISCaravan encampment off Scott Hall Road (Unknown) (3 comments)Black & White image    January 1955. Image shows a caravan encampment on snowy ground off Scott Hall Road. Three old Romany caravans or Vardos can be seen and also a square tent with a protruding chimney. Two women are chatting in front of the tent and to the right two men shake hands as they stand in a group next to one of the horses. The photograph was taken during the 'big freeze' of 1955.[internal reference; 20081230_168161:_YEP1638.JPG]
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dogduke wrote: LEODISCaravan encampment off Scott Hall Road (Unknown) (3 comments)Black & White image    January 1955. Image shows a caravan encampment on snowy ground off Scott Hall Road. Three old Romany caravans or Vardos can be seen and also a square tent with a protruding chimney. Two women are chatting in front of the tent and to the right two men shake hands as they stand in a group next to one of the horses. The photograph was taken during the 'big freeze' of 1955.[internal reference; 20081230_168161:_YEP1638.JPG] Cheers for that dogduke. To find the image in the Leodis website go to the Advanced Search section then paste the following into the Image Id 20081230_168161Interesting comments with the image!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Leodian,As a young child, I lived in Woodhouse and I often used to visit my grandmother's house, with my parents, by walking down to the Primrose Junction, up Buslingthorpe Lane and opposite the Springhill Tavern, there were some steps that led up to some waste land that was at the rear of Scott Hall Drive. There were always horses tethered in this area. As a young boy, it was a bit of a novelty for me. There is a possible explanation for horses being tethered in the area.For as long as I can remember, there was always a scrap yard in Meanwood Road, not far from the Primrose Junction (Meanwood Road/Buslingthorpe Lane). The scrap yard was owned by Arthur Burgess Hall. He was a registered scrap metal dealer and he also dealt in rags. Later, he also dealt in scrap cars and car parts. All of the local tatters (rag-a-bone men) used to 'weigh in' at Arthur's yard and had horses and carts. Alot of these people lived in the local area and particularly on the Scott Hall council estate, including Arthur's brother, Kenneth Burgess Hall (also nicknamed 'Smokey Hall'). The land behind Scott Hall Drive, at the top of Sugar Well Hill, and behind the playing fields would be the obvious place for the tatters to tether their horses. I don't recall ever seeing any gypsies in that area.Ian I remember 'Smokey'pleasant little chap,lived in/on LincolnGreen later in life after marrying.Always offered to by me a drink on the rare occasionsthat I met him.Burgess Hall always seemed to a posh name considering theirtype of work.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

LS1

Post by LS1 »