YEP sports field

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I have just read the article about making the sports field at Glen Road into a car park. What a waste of a wonderful amenity this would be. I played various sports on these fields up and until the late 70's. I know things have changed a lot over the past few years in Leeds and especially at the YEP but I can only think that to lose an amenity like this would be criminal.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Johnny39 wrote: I have just read the article about making the sports field at Glen Road into a car park. What a waste of a wonderful amenity this would be. I played various sports on these fields up and until the late 70's. I know things have changed a lot over the past few years in Leeds and especially at the YEP but I can only think that to lose an amenity like this would be criminal. Pop down the road to the Crabtree Vickers/Joshua Tetley ground and see how derelict that is. Another criminal waste.......Great times there.....

barnie

Post by barnie »

Whereabouts is the Crabtree Vickers/Joshua Tetley ground Parksider, please?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

barnie wrote: Whereabouts is the Crabtree Vickers/Joshua Tetley ground Parksider, please? Go up wetwood lane from the three horse shoes. Get to the junction with Glen Road where you turn left for YEP ground.Turn RIGHT where the road drops down it splits and on the left is a groundsmans cottage and the car park.behind the old green railings in the car park there was a main pitch for cricket and foorball and a floodlit training pitch on a higher level at the end. Houses stand on the tennis courts and changing rooms.Beyond the far railings is meanwood beck and the park.OK?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Who used to have the cricket pitch at the bottom of Hollin Road, now derelict?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: Who used to have the cricket pitch at the bottom of Hollin Road, now derelict? The Tetley Groundsman used to umpire there.Was it Highbury C.C.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The Parksider wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Who used to have the cricket pitch at the bottom of Hollin Road, now derelict? The Tetley Groundsman used to umpire there.Was it Highbury C.C. Highbury was certainly in that vicinity
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

barnie

Post by barnie »

Thanks for the directions Parksider, it's very sad all these sportsgrounds are disappearing. Having a quick look at the aerial map I noticed there is what looks like an old sports ground off St Ann's Gardens in Kirkstall/Burley. It looks well kept but there's not an obvious way in. Is anyone aware if this is still in use at all? I don't know how to attach the link to the aerial view sorry.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

barnie wrote: Thanks for the directions Parksider, it's very sad all these sportsgrounds are disappearing. Having a quick look at the aerial map I noticed there is what looks like an old sports ground off St Ann's Gardens in Kirkstall/Burley. It looks well kept but there's not an obvious way in. Is anyone aware if this is still in use at all? I don't know how to attach the link to the aerial view sorry. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=st+anne ... m&t=h&z=18 Edit:There appears to be an entrance from Stanmore Terrace through the Hedge. The tell tale signs of wear about 2/3rds of the way up    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

barnie

Post by barnie »

Thanks for posting the link tyke bhoy, and I see what you mean about the way in you describe, well spotted! It even looks like there might be three people near the RHS goal posts which might answer my original query as to whether it was still in use or not. It seems a funny place, very much surrounded by houses and the kind of place you'd only know about if you lived very close to it.