Roundhay Park Open-Air Pool

The green spaces and places of Leeds
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

oldleedsman wrote: Have just used IE. It said I'd uploaded an image of 0.86Mbyes (which is what it is) and then gave me an error stating:The attachment is too big. Maximum size: 1024 KB. Attachment size: 1445 KB So, have reduced the quality even more Great photo. This is just how I remember it very crowded on hot summer days.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

We went to the Ilkley Lido yesterday - although not packed it was well patronised. Pretty chilly at first but not bad when you got used to it. I wonder how many open air pools are left? I know there's one at Penzance because I've seen it.I used to go regularly to Roundhay in the sixties. Are us baby boomers hardier than today's youngsters?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

majorhoundii wrote: We went to the Ilkley Lido yesterday - although not packed it was well patronised. Pretty chilly at first but not bad when you got used to it. I wonder how many open air pools are left? I know there's one at Penzance because I've seen it.I used to go regularly to Roundhay in the sixties. Are us baby boomers hardier than today's youngsters? I had forgotten about the Lido at Ilkley, but went there a few times as a teenager- also in the 60s. So it has survived against the odds!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Roundhay open air pool : mid 1960's, hot summer - pool packed - ice cold - full of dead wasps. The reality didn't match anticipation.Now as I cycle over the dam I dont have the bottle to go 'down the track' where others, younger, more daring obviously do.