Roundhay Park Open-Air Pool

The green spaces and places of Leeds
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi Leodian, does this bring back memories. I too used to go many years ago and always remember it been a fun time.
Attachments
__TFMF_5vql04zpbfmg2p45sdkhwjb2_f47ea805-01df-403e-b464-bc12db27e39e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5vql04zpbfmg2p45sdkhwjb2_f47ea805-01df-403e-b464-bc12db27e39e_0_main.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Crikey,Unrecognisable now ! - sadly like a lot of old Leeds.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi buffaloskinner. That photo certainly brought back some memories. Unless I am wrong in my recollection that the paddling pool was to the end nearest the dam then the photo you show is taken looking towards Wetherby Road. As you say dogduke the area is unrecognisable now. If anyone did not know I doubt they would guess there used to be a very popular swimming pool there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Armley Lass 47

Post by Armley Lass 47 »

Fantastic b and w photo of the Lido. I remember it being called a Lido and I am not that old. We used to travel from Armley up to Roundhay Park and it was a great place to pull the lads in those days. It was freezing water though and I did my sunbathing on those steps you can see. Managed to get a tan a few times. Always glad to get home though it used to be a long day.Great photos of the pipe work lol.
your life comes from your ancestors

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Armley Lass 47 wrote: Fantastic b and w photo of the Lido. I remember it being called a Lido and I am not that old. We used to travel from Armley up to Roundhay Park and it was a great place to pull the lads in those days. It was freezing water though and I did my sunbathing on those steps you can see. Managed to get a tan a few times. Always glad to get home though it used to be a long day.Great photos of the pipe work lol. Aye,it were certainly cow'd every time our gang went.(Three ha'pence on the Tram from Ventnor St!).My lasting memory of Roundy Pool was the Brylcreem dispenserin the changing room. Put my penny in and got a doubledose which was shared with the rest! We looked likewe'd just swum across the Mexican Gulf oilspill!Conductor on the tram home sniffed and said"Blimey, It smells like a RAF billet up here!"(Good Training for when I joined up 6 months later!)Happy days!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Trojan wrote: There was an item on "Coast" the other day about the Hastings open air pool which has been filled in. There used to be two in Scarborough - one at North Bay which was converted to water slides and which I believe has now been knocked down and one at the Spa end, which the last time I looked was still there but abandoned. Here's the old Water Splash. Those slides were ACE!
Attachments
__TFMF_yzfynx55pvn3ln55czuujmz5_fd44d3a1-cf64-46d9-8365-5aabcfa29c2e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_yzfynx55pvn3ln55czuujmz5_fd44d3a1-cf64-46d9-8365-5aabcfa29c2e_0_main.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Chrism wrote: Trojan wrote: There was an item on "Coast" the other day about the Hastings open air pool which has been filled in. There used to be two in Scarborough - one at North Bay which was converted to water slides and which I believe has now been knocked down and one at the Spa end, which the last time I looked was still there but abandoned. Here's the old Water Splash. Those slides were ACE! Hardly long lived though. I seem to remember they opened in 1987, and now they're gone - 23 years? The old lidos (including Roundhay) were there from the early part of the last century.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Stanksman

Post by Stanksman »

With regard to Roundhay swimming pool, I had occasion to walk round the area a few years ago, as you know it is all filled in but if one looks carefully and move a few bushes aside you can see the outline of the bath edge and in places the blue paint is still visible.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I scanned this 1944 photo from an Evening Press book on old Leeds. ....However, I can't get the photo uploaded! Sorry. Will try again.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

If at first you don't succeed...... ......give in! I go through the whole process, upload it, etc. and it still doesn't appear.