Kirkstall Abbey's 'Geological Garden'

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Croggy2

Post by Croggy2 »

I recently heard someone asking about this 'feature' of the grounds, saying they couldn't find it when they visited the other day.Does anyone know if there is any sign of its existence today?http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 218_168410

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Its right at the bottom corner of the abbey grounds near the river. If you come out of the new visitor centre next to the actual abbey and go left and follow the path parallel to the river you will come to it.

Croggy2

Post by Croggy2 »

So it is still there? Thanks for that. I'll pass the message on ...

Croggy1
Site Admin

Re: Kirkstall Abbey's 'Geological Garden'

Post by Croggy1 »

After my original post, I did email LCC asking for further information and received an initial acknowledgment, but no further reply.
I've just come across some more information on this thanks to Geocaching.com and a recent 'earthcache' (information about geological features)

"Sadly, this Geological Garden no longer exists, and even local people are hard pushed to tell you where exactly it stood, or how long ago it was removed. In fact, it stood on the banks of the river near where the bowling green is now, and was the brainchild of Henry Cherry Versey, a local and celebrated geologist born in 1894 who died in 1990. Samples of rock included some rare granites and marbles, as well as more everyday examples, set out on a foot map of the British Isles, with plaques telling visitors about the location and qualities of the rocks displayed. Some locals remember it as a 'graveyard' due to the way the slabs of stone stood, and when it fell into disrepair, and became a little-visited corner of the grounds, it was eventually removed in around 2004. It stands in history now as a much misunderstood and misinterpreted idea, but lives on today with this EarthCache. No matter what happened to his garden, I suspect Mr Versey would approve of EarthCaches."

Leodian

Re: Kirkstall Abbey's 'Geological Garden'

Post by Leodian »

Hi Croggy1 :). Thanks for that interesting information about the Geological Garden.

I've just had a look at the Old Maps UK website and this (hopefully!) is a link to its 1969-1973 1:1,250 map that shows the location of the Geological Garden:- https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/426045 ... /13/100765. If the link does work it may be necessary to zoom out several times and move the map around to find the Geological Garden to the left of the Abbey.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.