Bridge in Roundhay gorge

The green spaces and places of Leeds
DIVADS

Post by DIVADS »

I've been fascinated with Roundhay gorge for over thirty years now, I thought i knew every inch of the place having grown up on Boggart Hill just five minutes away. Today i came across a Bridge i've never seen before and i was amazed at the build quality considering it's location. Can anyone tell me why the waterway under the bridge is cobbled? Also it appears to be outside a boundary wall 'now partly removed' so i wonder if the bridge was 'Nicholsons'.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Also known I believe as the Pack Horse bridge, thus posibly pre-dating Nicholson back to the original Round Hey and well within the boundry of this.I wonder if the cobbles could indicate the once existance of a fforde over the stream? I don't see any mention of this in Steven Burt's book about the Roundhey - Parksider, any suggestions on this one??    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm intrigued - can you help with a more precise location?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Is this the bridge at the park boundary near the ring road? This is I believe a construction by the Nicholsons who also canalised a lot of the natural waterways (this one being great heads beck...)Imagine, early 19th century, walking out here was the true countryside and with no ring road was the very corner of the park estate and would be very secluded and "sylvan" as the contemporary guide books would describe it. There was I think at this time a retreat back to nature given the rapid urbanisation of the cities and towns at this time hence why such a idyllic bridge/ settign would have been built..

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Friends of Roundhay Park publish a leaflet giving details of features and a tour of the park which includes the Gorge - my copy has gone AWOL so I can't scan it in here.This link is to an over-view map of the perk published by The Friends, their website is worth a look too.http://www.forp.co.uk/pdfs/roundhay_park_map.pdf

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Also, if you look at the book by John Morrit about the park, it great pamphlet/ book pre-dating Burt's book. Whilst I do admire Burt, a lot of his information from this book has come from John Morrit's work. I think a copy is in Becketts Park LMU Library...

DIVADS

Post by DIVADS »

LS1, your spot on with the location, it's at the end of the gorge. ive been trying to put on a picture for several hours now! so i hope it works this time...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

DIVADS wrote: ive been trying to put on a picture for several hours now! so i hope it works this time... I suspect you are not using Internet Explorer.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

DIVADS wrote: LS1, your spot on with the location, it's at the end of the gorge. ive been trying to put on a picture for several hours now! so i hope it works this time... Have a look at these posts -http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... dID=2159If you still have problems, tell us exactly what and where it goes wrong and we'll try to help.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: Also, if you look at the book by John Morrit about the park, it great pamphlet/ book pre-dating Burt's book. Whilst I do admire Burt, a lot of his information from this book has come from John Morrit's work. I think a copy is in Becketts Park LMU Library... On the plus side Lee, if the facts are correct, it is good that they are consistantly reported.