Clayton Woods Development - New Newts Ponds Success!!!

The green spaces and places of Leeds
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi everyone!Well I have had some success in my campaign to 'Save the Newts of Clayton Woods / Woodside Quarry'. I only just realised - albeit over 2 years on that the development group that wanted to develop Woodside Quarry in Clayton Woods, Horsforth have bought fields adjacent to the woods / quarry and had built 2 large purpose built ponds for the Great Crested and Common Newts to be relocated into. I only found out about this as I spotted the ponds on Google Maps in the area where I had been talking to the people from English Nature (Near the Woodside Kennels off Low Lane) who a few years ago came to do a survey after I reported the potential danger to the newts habitat. However in the period inbetween the development group applying for extensive planning permission to create this new 'urban village' in Woodside Quarry there has been this global recession, and while its not a good thing for the economy, it is a great thing for the newts as their original home is no longer under threat and they also have the new ponds as well! How good is that! But I am not sure if the Burford Groups original attempt to defoliate the whole quarry area has seriously depleted the population of newts. I have been married and living elsewhere for the past 2 years so I wasnt able to follow their progress. However my marriage has gone down the toilet so I am back in my 'hood and I will try and catch up with my amphibious buddies and see how they are faring. Anyway if you are interested in seeing some newts then get along to Woodside Quarry and have a look for them, you can often see them swimming just below the surface of the shallow spring fed pools in the centre of the quarry site. I have noticed if you move slightly a piece of rotten wood and there are any newts present you will notice them swimming away for cover. They are remarkable creatures and if you see them during the breeding season they have all their mating plumage on display and are quite unusual creatures.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

jonleeds wrote: Hi everyone!Well I have had some success in my campaign to 'Save the Newts of Clayton Woods / Woodside Quarry'. I only just realised - albeit over 2 years on that the development group that wanted to develop Woodside Quarry in Clayton Woods, Horsforth have bought fields adjacent to the woods / quarry and had built 2 large purpose built ponds for the Great Crested and Common Newts to be relocated into. I only found out about this as I spotted the ponds on Google Maps in the area where I had been talking to the people from English Nature (Near the Woodside Kennels off Low Lane) who a few years ago came to do a survey after I reported the potential danger to the newts habitat. However in the period inbetween the development group applying for extensive planning permission to create this new 'urban village' in Woodside Quarry there has been this global recession, and while its not a good thing for the economy, it is a great thing for the newts as their original home is no longer under threat and they also have the new ponds as well! How good is that! But I am not sure if the Burford Groups original attempt to defoliate the whole quarry area has seriously depleted the population of newts. I have been married and living elsewhere for the past 2 years so I wasnt able to follow their progress. However my marriage has gone down the toilet so I am back in my 'hood and I will try and catch up with my amphibious buddies and see how they are faring. Anyway if you are interested in seeing some newts then get along to Woodside Quarry and have a look for them, you can often see them swimming just below the surface of the shallow spring fed pools in the centre of the quarry site. I have noticed if you move slightly a piece of rotten wood and there are any newts present you will notice them swimming away for cover. They are remarkable creatures and if you see them during the breeding season they have all their mating plumage on display and are quite unusual creatures. Jon, I saw these pools walking Moseley Wood Beck industrial trail (unofficial one) I posted on heree and asked what they were and we had a number of guesses then out of the blue you give us the answer!Cheers Jon, Good Luck.......