memoires of a cinder park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

hicklingmick wrote: new to this site..I lived on Albury rd jusy off clarence rd Hunslet until late 50"s.My parents had a shop just around corner from what I always thought was called West Yorkshire Foundries but on Leodis it is called Airedale Works..I went to st silas school on donisthorpe st until 1958 then Hunslet moor for 1yr then Cockburn until 1964 After 59 we moved to moor grange..Whilst in hunslet I can remember playing in a kind of park in clarence rd that was covered in cinders can anybody help? The recreation ground for Clarence Road area was just off and paralell to Carlisle road, the other side of the clarence iron and steel works to the albury's. Between Carlisle Rd and the reccy were some short streets named the smeatons.My dad used to play football on Hunslet Moor and he told me this was a cinder recreation ground, so the kids used to cut all their knees.The amount of cinders created were so great as Grumpytramp says, clay pits were dug deep and filled in again with cinders!The history of clarence Road on a personal basis is my mum was a secretary at a works on clarence road, also the old timber yard along the aire used to be the ground for Leeds Parish Church RFC who were a top club in the early years of Rugby League and attracted thousands to their games.For many years this small corner of south Leeds has been a backwater, but it has a history and it has (your) memories.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

hicklingmick wrote: I lived on Albury rd jusy off clarence rd Hunslet There are plenty of piccy's of the smeatons but you see little of your reccie ground behind.Albury Road is on leodis - THIS IS VERY INTERESTING - the usual terrace/back to back houses have some odd second floors built on top of them - I'd be interested in other people's comments....

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

The Parksider wrote: hicklingmick wrote: I lived on Albury rd jusy off clarence rd Hunslet There are plenty of piccy's of the smeatons but you see little of your reccie ground behind.Albury Road is on leodis - THIS IS VERY INTERESTING - the usual terrace/back to back houses have some odd second floors built on top of them - I'd be interested in other people's comments.... They are pretty strange!http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

hicklingmick wrote: new to this site..I lived on Albury rd jusy off clarence rd Hunslet until late 50"s.My parents had a shop just around corner from what I always thought was called West Yorkshire Foundries but on Leodis it is called Airedale Works..I went to st silas school on donisthorpe st until 1958 then Hunslet moor for 1yr then Cockburn until 1964 After 59 we moved to moor grange..Whilst in hunslet I can remember playing in a kind of park in clarence rd that was covered in cinders can anybody help? Hi HM! Regarding West Yorkshire Foundries and Airedale works,The WYF as I remember from the 60's was always called just that.I usd to visit their transport dept as a van salesman in thosedays and from what I remember, they used to make aluminiumcastings for Hillman Imp engines!Mebbe made other parts too.Airedale works,I think, was the building close by WYF whichwas used by Albion Electric Co (another of my calls).On returning from a coach holiday last year,we came along Sth Accommodation Rd and Albion Electric was still there!Brought back memories!

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: hicklingmick wrote: new to this site..I lived on Albury rd jusy off clarence rd Hunslet until late 50"s.My parents had a shop just around corner from what I always thought was called West Yorkshire Foundries but on Leodis it is called Airedale Works..I went to st silas school on donisthorpe st until 1958 then Hunslet moor for 1yr then Cockburn until 1964 After 59 we moved to moor grange..Whilst in hunslet I can remember playing in a kind of park in clarence rd that was covered in cinders can anybody help? Hi HM! Regarding West Yorkshire Foundries and Airedale works,The WYF as I remember from the 60's was always called just that.I usd to visit their transport dept as a van salesman in thosedays and from what I remember, they used to make aluminiumcastings for Hillman Imp engines!Mebbe made other parts too.Airedale works,I think, was the building close by WYF whichwas used by Albion Electric Co (another of my calls).On returning from a coach holiday last year,we came along Sth Accommodation Rd and Albion Electric was still there!Brought back memories! When I first started work, the company I worked for used to repair the lifting gear for West Yorkshire Foundries, I always understood that it was a part of Leyland Motors - producing cylinder blocks, connecting rods, cylinder heads and crankshafts for them.In my later working life I dealt with Selsons (Leeds) Ltd whose address was 79 Clarence Road, although their main premises were on Carlisle Road, they were the successors of H Sellers & Co Ltd, who were major crane hire operators in Leeds up to the late sixties.