Hanging Trees Of Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

(Sorry if in wrong place, couldn't decide where else to put it!)Anybody know the loaction of any (ex) hanging trees in Leeds where people met their deaths?Also, i heard that at the junction of Stainbeck Road and Harrogate Road there is an old Hanging Tree (MAP BELOW). Has anybody else heard of this?EDIT: The tree is a bit like a weeping willow (or is it?) and has a large metal plate on the side of it near the bottom.
Simon -H-

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

well i guess most of them would be long gone since armley jail was the site for most of the local hangings? I heard tell that the orginal ask in headingly was used for hangings but i cant remember where i heard that so im not sure of its authenticity.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes indeed Simon. Kirgate near the market was actually called Gallowgate. Have a look on Google & see if you can find anything. I've found stuff in books before.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Ok thanks very much. Still no knowledge on the Hanging tree in the Google Earth in my previous post on Harrogate Road junction?
Simon -H-

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

Long before Armley Jail was even thought of never mind built there were hanging tree and gallows all over the city - mainly because people had to be execucted outside the city boundaries. The hanging tree near the allotments on Harrogate Road is supposed to be the Scots pine that is due to be cut down soon but I don't think it is old enough. I think the hanging tree was actually the tree across the road behind a low wall - why put a wall round a tree unless the tree is used for something. I also think it strange there should have been a hanging tree here when there was a gallows somewhere near Chapel Allerton primary school. Why travel another half mile to hang somebody?

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

Long before Armley Jail was even thought of never mind built there were hanging tree and gallows all over the city - mainly because people had to be execucted outside the city boundaries. The hanging tree near the allotments on Harrogate Road is supposed to be the Scots pine that is due to be cut down soon but I don't think it is old enough. I think the hanging tree was actually the tree across the road behind a low wall - why put a wall round a tree unless the tree is used for something. I also think it strange there should have been a hanging tree here when there was a gallows somewhere near Chapel Allerton primary school. Why travel another half mile to hang somebody?