Land off Church Lane Adel

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Wool

Post by Wool »

David Wilson Homes have made a planning application to cram 68 new homes onto a field bordered by Otley Road, Holt Avenue and Church Lane in Adel. The field is opposite the newly extended conservation area surrounding Adel Church.Leeds City Council turned down the application on the grounds (inter alia) that this greenfield site should not be built on when there is ample undeveloped brownfield land available in Leeds.David Wilsons have appealed against the deciion and the appeal is to be heard at a public enquiry at Leeds Civic Hall on 9-12 and 16-17 November.People locally consider that this development would spoil the rural character of this old part of Adel and would be the thin end of the wedge for more house building on the adjoining fields opposite the Norman church.If you wish to oppose this appeal, please attend a day or part day of the public enquiry and/ or write to Leeds City council at Leonardo Building, 2 Rossington Street, Leeds LS2 8HD

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I'm really getting sick of developers in Leeds, it sometimes feels like a pack of wolves circling to drop 'an exciting development' in any space they can. In the last 5 years we've had 6 developments/conversions of 2 bed flats withing 300m of the door in Headingley (yes there still is space it would seem) adding over 200 bed spaces to the immediate area, while flats stand empty elsewhere. There are plans for futher developments to add another 100 and then there's the old glass factory site at the bottom of Cardigan road.....For the record:Redevelopment of Madeline Joy HouseRedevelopment of Valley CourtRedevelopment of former Broomhurst HotelFlats at the top of Chapel lane in back garden off cardigan road.Flats on old morfitts site on St Michael's laneFlats on old garage site on Sti Michael's LaneProposals for a site next to the cricket school on St Michael's laneProposals for redevelopment and extension of offices on Cardigan Road Chapel laneProposals to demolish and sell Our lady of Lourdes church for flats.Proposals for extensive redevelopment of former Leeds girls High School site into....flats....I'm not against redevelopment but on this scale and intensity it really buggers up the character of neighbourhoods, not to mention the parking.given the recent changes to social security expecting single claimaints to move into shared houses if they want their rent paying and council tenannts no longer having security I can't see it getting any better.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

And breathe....

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: And breathe.... On the plus side, the Inapector, where these applications go to public enquiry, has been bcking the Council's refusals for some time. Even where land is approved for release for development from under the last Unitary Development (and this does mean within the existing green belt), restrictions are being imposed in regard to starting dates and the prior utilisation of brown field sites first.

Wool

Post by Wool »

Unfortunately, I don't think the news was as good as you suggest,Cardiarms. My understanding is that the Inspector has overturned Leeds City Council in about half a dozen recent similar instances.I understand that the Regional Spatial Strategy imposed by the previous government required Local authorities to designate a certain ( high ) level of sites for housebuilding each year and if the Local authority failed ( as Leeds did) to identify sufficient such sites, a loophole enabled rapacious developers to go straight to the plum greenfield sites such as this one, bypassing the less profitable brownfield sites still available.This anomoly was recognised by the current government and in June Eric pickles announced that the Regional Spatial strategy was abolished. Developers launched a legal challenge against this decision and about 2 weeks ago, the High Court held that Eric Pickles' decision was unlawful and that the Regional Spatial Strategy could only be removed by primary legislation. Even though there is little demand for new housing at the moment, this gives developers a few more months to gain planning consents in respect of land that was never intended to be developed until brownfield was exhausted. In the meantime, more difficult brownfield sites are left untouched. In relation to Adel, this includes the "lost village" much mentioned on this site. Leeds City Council had granted a planning consent to David Wilsons' parent company, Barretts, but they have pulled out of buying the site due to the current recession. Much easier and more profitable to build on a nice unspoilt field!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Wool's message from a new thread on this subject moved here:WoolUser Location: Joined on: 23-Jun-2010 14:39:10Posted: 32 posts# Posted on: 02-May-2014 16:33:10.     Edit | Quote Two developers have submitted outline planning applications to build on the fields opposite the Grade 1 listed Adel church. One of the special aspects of Adel church is its rural setting. It was built in an isolated position serving a parish of scattered farms and cottages. That rural isolation has survived for 900 years, despite the creeping encroachment of Leeds. It will be destroyed if these proposed developments go ahead. The developments are opposed by English Heritage as well as by our local councillors and neighbourhood forum, but the more opposition the better.Please write to Leeds Planning Department ( most conveniently via their website ) opposing these applications . The application reference numbers are 14/01874 and 14/01660. The closing date for objections is 8 May.Thank you

Wool

Post by Wool »

Chameleon,Thanks for noticing my message, but I would have preferred it if you had left it as a new thread under the original title as this is a new planning application for different fields and covering an area of about four times the previous one.. The previous application was granted, albeit fewer houses are being built. It is nearly finished and is not a pretty sight. David Wilson have made it worse by tearing apart a supposedly protected hedge which had shielded a good part of the development from Church Lane. Wool

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Wool wrote: Chameleon,Thanks for noticing my message, but I would have preferred it if you had left it as a new thread under the original title as this is a new planning application for different fields and covering an area of about four times the previous one.. The previous application was granted, albeit fewer houses are being built. It is nearly finished and is not a pretty sight. David Wilson have made it worse by tearing apart a supposedly protected hedge which had shielded a good part of the development from Church Lane. Wool Hi woolI take your point but it did look as though the two sites are likely to be part of a larger plan so I moved your message hoping to negate any fragmentation with possible common info being missed by some users. A similar situation is arising close to me with a vast area to become involved under different names though all will be part and parcel of the single East Leeds Extension Corridor. This is in keeping with the site policy.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Wool wrote: David Wilson Homes have made a planning application to cram 68 new homes onto a field bordered by Otley Road, Holt Avenue and Church Lane in Adel. The field is opposite the newly extended conservation area surrounding Adel Church.....he deciion and the appeal is to be heard at a public enquiry at Leeds Civic Hall on 9-12 and 16-17 November.People locally consider that this development would spoil the rural character of this old part of Adel and would be the thin end of the wedge for more house building on the adjoining fields opposite the Norman church.If you wish to oppose this appeal, please attend a day or part day of the public enquiry and/ or write to Leeds City council at Leonardo Building, 2 Rossington Street, Leeds LS2 8HD Is there not some method whereby people (perhaps folks on here) can log on to LCC and register their objection?Gets it done there and then, more likely to happen, presume we'd need the reference etc but I did something similar with the Tram

Wool

Post by Wool »

Jogon,You have referred to my old message at the top of this thread. I posted a new thread about a new ( and much worse) planning application which unfortunately has been moved to half way down this old one. if you look under Chameleon's name you will see my new message with the appropriate reference numbers. NB the closing date for objections is today so please do comment online on the Leeds planning website which is easily via google regards,Wool