Cricket fields and clubs of Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
peterg

Post by peterg »

Just discovered this thread. It seems that the database on hitkirk Cricket Club is sadly very deficient. I was a junior member of Whitkirk Cricket Club in 1947 and in the summer holidays we used to have some great improvised games there. We were generally from 16 to 20 lads each afternoon from Monday to Friday (Saturday and Sunday were official club games), we picked two captains, they pìcked their sides and we batted for an hour each team. If one team was all out in its hour, it could continue up to ful time, repeating batsmen. One of our group was Brian Bolus, later England player. I don't remember the year, but one season the club won both the Hepworth Cup and the Wood Cup, Brian getting 99 not out in the Hepworth Cup Final.I also had a spell at Colton when the wooden pavilion was still there and one portion of the outfield was rough grass.Yet another place where I had a spell was at Rothwell, where the pitch was on a slope.A peculiar pitch was Highbury Works, long and narrow, where it was possible to cut a six, surrounded by the water channel.

peterg

Post by peterg »

After sending my last post, I remembered that Crossgates Cricket Club had a pitch in a field at the foot of Appleyards Hill (Austhorpe Lane) below Chapman's Farm (Austhorpe Hall) on land which I believe at that time (50's) belonged to Tadcaster and not to Leeds.There is a vacant plot of land surrounded by Penda's Way, Kelmscott Green and Kelmscott Crescent, behing the Community Centre) which Gertrude Bray, promotor of the Estate, wanted to be a sports field. Could this be classed as a lost sports field, because, as I was told, between those who wanted a cricket field and those who wanted a football field, there was no agreement and nothing has ever been done. Could anyone clarify the exact legal status of this land because, apart from the Community Centre, nothing has ever been built on it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'After sending my last post, I remembered that Crossgates Cricket Club had a pitch in a field at the foot of Appleyards Hill (Austhorpe Lane) below Chapman's Farm (Austhorpe Hall) on land which I believe at that time (50's) belonged to Tadcaster and not to Leeds.'This one is still there.

liits

Post by liits »

How about Amaranth at the far end of Crossgates. The pitch is on part of what was the cordite factory of the WW1 filling factory.

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I'm aware that the Recreation Ground, Holbeck, has been given over to housing.Please can anyone tell me the names of streets and/or postcde.Thank youPaulW
PaulW

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Though not public, there were cricket clubs with proper Pavillion hereRoundhay Hall side of the ginnelhttp://goo.gl/maps/uGTt (now Parkwood Ave)Here, again near 'The Ginnel'http://goo.gl/maps/yVlz

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

Slightly off topic here but Crossgates Cricket Club used to have a proper November 5th fire every year and for reasons lost in the mists of time we (my parents needed to get rid of some old furniture) and I suggested taking it to the club bonfire only to be astounded that my younger brother didn't even know there was a Crossgates Cricket Club.No doubt LIITS (my youngest brother) will explain this.
All knowledge is important

beast

Post by beast »

Such a shame Roundhay does not have a team anymore, I used to enjoy watching them in the Central Yorkshire League until they packed up a couple of years ago for what reason I do not know. Roundhay arena and pavilion going to waste now.The death knell seemed to be building the new pavilion with cafe which is never used now as far as I am aware.East Leeds still going strong, top of Black Rd ( Pontefract Lane / M.1 link rd )