Golden Acre Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

We liked them.It is known as a night time race circuit, and folks do come thru at a pace.best parking is the usually empty bit to left of Parkway

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6277730Sad news ... Quote: A popular furry four-legged friend to visitors to Golden Acre Park for more than 12 years, has sadly died.Max the feral cat was a local celebrity in north Leeds.The public had recently donated more than £700, to pay his vet fees.The black and white moggy, believed to be around 17 years old, even featured on greeting cards sold at Ripon Market after years of endearing himself to visitors to the Bramhope park’s cafe and greenhouse.Signs have gone up in the north Leeds park to spread to sad news.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Sad news about Max but perhaps not unexpected in view of his recent poor health. He was always a friendly cat that liked to be stroked, but I had not seen him for a while now.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Sad news, but 17 years old was a ripe old age for a feral cat.I saw the notice on Saturday when we were up there, but forgot about posting.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Oh dear, still he had a good spot there.Just been up to see him and saw the sign....'Max became very weak Tuesday 19th November and had to be put to sleep'..

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Nice shot here of Golden Acre the (then) private fun park in 1930's. Courtesy of JB303

jim

Post by jim »

jim wrote: The book "Aspects of Leeds 3" contains a twenty page article "Dream Builders, the Thompsons of Golden Acre", which describes the creation and building of the amusement park, and of it's failure and sale. There are several photographs. The article concerned is by the same author as the book I mentioned previously, now only available second-hand at an inflated price, "Leeds Golden Acres", by Tony Shelton     My interest in these books came about due to my having been told when young that the Thompsons had been friends of my parents prior to WW2. Imagine my surprise when I realised that one of the two men sitting with Frank Thompson on the running board of his car in the picture on page 108 of "Aspects of Leeds 3" in the article on the Thompsons of Golden Acre was the earliest photo I have yet been able to locate of my father! My understanding is that Dad was invited to invest in the project to build the park. For once he took advice on the subject, and was told firmly by his eldest sister's husband (an extremely perceptive man) to have nothing to do with it. Thankfully as it turned out, he took that advice.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Jim - what a lovely findMind Headingley have a copy of that book as of Monday + a few other Leeds ones I had.