Golden Acre Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

A little bit off-topic but my girlfriend and her Mum took their dog Daisy to Golden Acre Park (as they did every week, and this is going back 10 years) only for the dog to kill a swan...oh dear, lol.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phallica2000 wrote: A little bit off-topic but my girlfriend and her Mum took their dog Daisy to Golden Acre Park (as they did every week, and this is going back 10 years) only for the dog to kill a swan...oh dear, lol. Did she get in trouble with the Queen..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phallica2000 wrote: A little bit off-topic but my girlfriend and her Mum took their dog Daisy to Golden Acre Park (as they did every week, and this is going back 10 years) only for the dog to kill a swan...oh dear, lol. That's awful, do hope they resolved this and reported it to the Park Keeper? Swans pair up and mate for life, coming up for breeding season too. Hardly lol

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Ladies and Gentlemen - I have an important announcement to make.After 6 months of waiting, diversions and great anticipation, I am pleased to report that the bridge has finally been repaired!!!!More pics here: http://flic.kr/p/dWYwGNAlthough not yet re-opened, it can only be a matter of time.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

MWD

Post by MWD »

The newly rebuilt bridge is now open!The swan incident, although unfortunate, is by no means a rare occurence.It's doubtful whether the dog owner would be thinking of doing anything other than stopping their animal. Reporting the incident to the Park Authorities, would be akin to turkeys voting for christmas, although had they done so, very little could have been done unless intent was proven.I wonder how many of the feathered residents of GAP Max has accounted for over the years?        
Attachments
__TFMF_eslzuw55nyzjoj55x4xxi4ro_60bdc436-5f7d-45ce-a242-5da6c9709524_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_eslzuw55nyzjoj55x4xxi4ro_60bdc436-5f7d-45ce-a242-5da6c9709524_0_main.jpg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Phallica2000 wrote: My girlfriend and her Mum took their dog Daisy to Golden Acre Park only for the dog to kill a swan. That reminds me of the man who was up before the magistrate for shooting and eating a swan. The magistrate asked the man what happened."Well Sir," the man replied, "I was out shooting ducks, and just as I fired at a duck going overhead, a swan flew into the line of fire from behind me, and I hit it by accident. As it was already dead, it seemed a waste just to leave it, so I took it home and the wife plucked it and roasted it, and we invited all the neighbours round for Sunday Lunch.""Very well," said the magistrate, "I'm prepared to believe your story that this was simply an accident, and I am granting you an unconditional discharge. By the way, I've always been curious to know; what does roast swan taste like?""Very much like Golden Eagle, your Honour."
The older I get, the better I was.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Jogon wrote: That's awful, do hope they resolved this and reported it to the Park Keeper? Swans pair up and mate for life, coming up for breeding season too. Hardly lol MWD wrote: The swan incident, although unfortunate, is by no means a rare occurence.It's doubtful whether the dog owner would be thinking of doing anything other than stopping their animal. Reporting the incident to the Park Authorities, would be akin to turkeys voting for christmas (or mountain bikers reporting themselves for cycling within the park), although had they done so, very little could have been done unless intent was proven.I wonder how many of the feathered residents of GAP Max has accounted for over the years? MWD - Oh dear, I hadn't realised swans are often killedYou are wrong about reporting the incident (it's basic damage to property), and so there is no need for "proof of intent" on the part of the owner.I know a couple of folks who's dogs have 'had a duck' at their local (regular) parks - they just mentioned it to the Park keeper and paid a nominal £20 for replacement. Obviously the Park Keeper 'employs' both his own cat and Max for Pest Control as where there is food, feed and seed so there aremice and rats, rabbits and grey squirrels.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

MWDPersonally I don't agree your suggestion that a full blown prosecution is needed if the family pet eats a duck, or god forbid, a swan.Quite different to deliberate actions.That's a sledge hammer to crack a nut. The Police surely have better things to do.Probably more sensible to resolve it as I suggested rather than bringing costly time consuming prosecutions.Most informative though - cheers for looking that up .Ta    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo that I took today (April 8 2013) under the recently repaired footbridge at Golden Acre Park. I thought (hope!) it may be of interest as it shows some of the new planks and a view to the footbridge over the close-by track.
Attachments
__TFMF_fffgr5453oipic45uqf1p1za_c4d49e6d-bb75-42a5-aa4b-04b4406fd156_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fffgr5453oipic45uqf1p1za_c4d49e6d-bb75-42a5-aa4b-04b4406fd156_0_main.jpg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo that I took today (April 8 2013) of a message about Max the cat (see some earlier posts in this thread). The message was on a pane of a greenhouse at Golden Acre Park and is not as in focus as well as I thought, so I apologise if it is too hard to read. I did not see Max around.    
Attachments
__TFMF_fffgr5453oipic45uqf1p1za_66ff85da-aa1f-42c1-813b-ce3de1177d47_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fffgr5453oipic45uqf1p1za_66ff85da-aa1f-42c1-813b-ce3de1177d47_0_main.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.