Golden Acre Park

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Thanks LeoNot been thru recently and hadn't seen that.ref the bridge, I'm no engineer but would've thought concrete supports under wood bridge better than vice versa. [edit] via Leo - max factshttp://www.leedsfelinefriends.org.uk/page14.ht ... ~~"..Those of you who visit Golden Acre Park have probably come across Max. You might even have stopped to stroke him and pass the time of day with him.Max first started turning up at the park about 10 years ago. He was wearing a collar so one of the gardeners rang the number on his collar and his owner guessed that he was back at the park ...... again!!. He was collected and taken home but, very soon, he returned to the park. Eventually his owner had to concede that Golden Acre was where Max wanted to be and there he has remained ever since! Max is an older boy now and, as with many older cats, he has developed some health problems. When he started to show signs of being unwell one of the gardeners, who lives round the corner from one of our committee members, mentioned to her that he was concerned about Max. At about the same time another of our committee members was visiting Golden Acre and had a similar conversation with the same gardener. The result of these discussions was that we arranged to take Max to visit the vet to be assessed.Since then we have continued to support Max by paying for his veterinary treatments, medication and monitoring. We are just pleased to see him happy at the home he chose for himself where he enjoys the companionship of the visitors to the park and the staff who so kindly care for him.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The little railway that used to run round Golden Acre Park (GAP) has been mentioned before in this thread. When I was in GAP on April 8 2013 I noticed some work going on and there was a notice about the railway that I don't recall seeing when I was last in GAP a few months back. This photo shows the notice, part of which reads:-"This was one of the three Lakeside Stations that worked the line during the 1930's. All that remains of the railway are the five concrete blocks you see at the edge of the platform. in 2003, 65 years after the line closed, the discovery of these concrete blocks was the inspiration behind the re-creation of this small section of the railway. The area has been planted in a naturalistic way using cultivated grasses and perennials to give the impression of an abandoned railway line".The site is currently having work done on it. The section seems though to be far too short to run a even a small train and carriage on it, so I suspect the work may just be some general tidying up. I wonder however if anyone knows if anything is planned for the site? I shall post a better view of the work going on at the 'track' in my next post.
Attachments
__TFMF_0dsfucry4dksu555qz5phcrj_3c96e94e-a516-45dc-a477-9342a0be1989_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0dsfucry4dksu555qz5phcrj_3c96e94e-a516-45dc-a477-9342a0be1989_0_main.jpg (125.18 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the photo (taken April 8 2013) showing the work going at the 'track'.
Attachments
__TFMF_0dsfucry4dksu555qz5phcrj_757824e5-9e06-4f00-b036-8c8fab6f6920_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0dsfucry4dksu555qz5phcrj_757824e5-9e06-4f00-b036-8c8fab6f6920_0_main.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: This is the photo (taken April 8 2013) showing the work going at the 'track'. Nice one - so that was the actual platform then I assume?During my visit I took time (and cat treats) to see Max. He was in the greenhouse, awake but did not get up or come out to greet.Must be poorly and didn't know he'd been there 10 years.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: This is the photo (taken April 8 2013) showing the work going at the 'track'. Nice one - so that was the actual platform then I assume?During my visit I took time (and cat treats) to see Max. He was in the greenhouse, awake but did not get up or come out to greet.Must be poorly and didn't know he'd been there 10 years. Thank you Jogon and Leodian for the updates about Max. I hope he's reasonably content with his life at the moment and is not in pain. At least he's still sticking to his familiar places and is not hiding away, which is a good sign.Thanks Leodian for the updated photos of the railway garden - I wonder what they're doing with it? I liked it when it looked like a wildflower garden a few years ago, when I took my photo of the baby rabbit on the line (posted somewhere further up this thread if I remember correctly).Edited: I didn't remember correctly - it was on page 2 of this thread:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ge=25Jogon, the "platform" is a reconstruction. The only original part of the platform are the concrete blocks which you can see in Leo's photo (underneath where the rails have been placed).     

BJF

Post by BJF »

Does water ever flow under the bridge?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not in my memory, all weathers.There is a central 'sluice' I think, and the gradient outflow is at oppo/Parkway end. [Edit]TasaMax seemed ok Thurs 11th, though with visible operation scar.He was near the park keeper's house.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Thanks Jogon

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

MWD - I have removed a couple of your recent posts due to complaints from other site users. I would have contacted you about this directly before doing so, but you do not have a valid email address set up on your account. If you would like to discuss the matter please contact me directly at duncan@tyrell.mobi.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

MWD

Post by MWD »

I used to have a dog that liked to dish it out, but when it got a taste of it's own medicine it used to run off crying.