Plans unveiled to build Leeds waste incinerator

The green spaces and places of Leeds
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yes well I've heard that one about the signal not transmitting downwards from the mobile phone masts, however there are still warning signs posted on the masts that state that engineers ought not to approach the masts while they are still 'live' due to the electromagnetic fields generated. I'm not entirely convinced and neither are the mobile phone companies or Leeds City Council who profit tens of thousands of pounds each year for renting out my roof. The fact is they can neither guarantee our safety or prove whether there is any danger or not from living in such close proximity (less than 10') to these installations. Only time will tell, and if in another ten years myself and my neighbours have developed brain tumours etc then I guess we'll know. Just the worry of living with this potential timebomb on my head is enough to shorten our life expectancy due to the stress of it.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

According to recent days YEP's,this controversial project is all but rubber stamped.There will be a 90m chimney in place with round the clock activity.VEOLIA are the chosen contractor to manage this project.Cllr Mark Dobson as executive member of environmental services is in the "hot seat" according to the paper.A mate of mine is querying whether ARUP,who are significant partners with Veolia,will have any say in the build.They do have a seat on the board of "Environment Leeds" of which Cllr Dobson is the chair ? Maybe a question worth asking seeing as it affects many of our local populace.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

You have to ask,given all the available land down Pontefract Lane,was there not a more suitable site further down the road,in the direction of Knowstrop?Clearly we cannot go on with land fill,not only for monetary reasons but obviously enviromental reasons,but i wouldnt be too happy if this was on my doorstep.Further down Pontefract Lane may have produced a better option for locals,how about where teh old power station was?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

cnosni wrote: You have to ask,given all the available land down Pontefract Lane,was there not a more suitable site further down the road,in the direction of Knowstrop?Clearly we cannot go on with land fill,not only for monetary reasons but obviously enviromental reasons,but i wouldnt be too happy if this was on my doorstep.Further down Pontefract Lane may have produced a better option for locals,how about where teh old power station was? Yes,cnosni......would be a more suitable spot.Won't be council land I suspect though so council worried about cost ? Peanuts compared to overall lifetime spend on present proposal.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

A certain water company bid for the contract on its site further away. There's already an incinerator down there.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

somme1916 wrote: cnosni wrote: You have to ask,given all the available land down Pontefract Lane,was there not a more suitable site further down the road,in the direction of Knowstrop?Clearly we cannot go on with land fill,not only for monetary reasons but obviously enviromental reasons,but i wouldnt be too happy if this was on my doorstep.Further down Pontefract Lane may have produced a better option for locals,how about where teh old power station was? Yes,cnosni......would be a more suitable spot.Won't be council land I suspect though so council worried about cost ? Peanuts compared to overall lifetime spend on present proposal. I suspect you're right - the former fruit and veg market on Pontefract Lane is council owned and is stood doing nothing (except running up maintenance and security bills), whilst other sites would have to be bought or long term leases obtained. Plus the council could say (for example) that they've put £1 million into the deal, whereas they've just given land that is theoretically worth that much, if they could find someone to buy it but for which the actual cost is nowt.....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: somme1916 wrote: cnosni wrote: You have to ask,given all the available land down Pontefract Lane,was there not a more suitable site further down the road,in the direction of Knowstrop?Clearly we cannot go on with land fill,not only for monetary reasons but obviously enviromental reasons,but i wouldnt be too happy if this was on my doorstep.Further down Pontefract Lane may have produced a better option for locals,how about where teh old power station was? Yes,cnosni......would be a more suitable spot.Won't be council land I suspect though so council worried about cost ? Peanuts compared to overall lifetime spend on present proposal. I suspect you're right - the former fruit and veg market on Pontefract Lane is council owned and is stood doing nothing (except running up maintenance and security bills), whilst other sites would have to be bought or long term leases obtained. Plus the council could say (for example) that they've put £1 million into the deal, whereas they've just given land that is theoretically worth that much, if they could find someone to buy it but for which the actual cost is nowt..... I wasn't sure whether to start another thread on this subject but it is all relevant......Today it's reported that Veolia are selling water company assets down south to reduce its debt mountain.Well,that strikes me as a little strange as most companies are only too eager to jump on board a "free at source" opportunity.This same company looks like being tasked to take our non -recyclables forward into the next 25 years.Why should the people of Leeds put faith into this company ???? What happens if it goes boar's up ? lCC seem intent(or is that adamant) this company will secure the deal.I'm very uncomfortable about this proposed "deal".25 years these days is an age in commercial terms.That aside,I am absolutely staggered that a city the size of Leeds does not provide a glass waste bin ! That itself would save fortunes in recycling and separation costs.I have canvassed opinion among many people who all openly admit the glass(all colours) just goes in the black bin.Unless you are a dedicated recycler(and I am) and take your glass to the proper skip/tip.....this city of ours will always struggle to meet recycling targets.Once that glass goes in that black bin.....the whole bin is contaminated.....breakages inevitable etcDoes Leeds City Council not understand this ?Even Barnsley can laugh at us on this one.........................

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

We live just upwind from Lawnswood incinerator, but you don't hear us moaning.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

somme1916 wrote: [quToday it's reported that Veolia are selling water company assets down south to reduce its debt mountain.Well,that strikes me as a little strange as most companies are only too eager to jump on board a "free at source" opportunity..... From the BBC"Last year the group unearthed a 90m-euro ($111.7m) accounting fraud at a subsidiary in the US which plunged the group into loss."

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Cardiarms wrote: somme1916 wrote: [quToday it's reported that Veolia are selling water company assets down south to reduce its debt mountain.Well,that strikes me as a little strange as most companies are only too eager to jump on board a "free at source" opportunity..... From the BBC"Last year the group unearthed a 90m-euro ($111.7m) accounting fraud at a subsidiary in the US which plunged the group into loss." So,is this a company to be trusted to manage our proposed incinerator......and for 25 years ? I doubt it will be around then to answer for it's past deeds.