Crossgates Manston lane

The green spaces and places of Leeds
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chameleon wrote: raveydavey wrote: liits wrote: “area 51” Surely at Crossgates, it would be "Area 15", wouldn't it? And don't forget Rothwell is not far away...Funny though that there may / may not be contamination of the site when you consider how many times various people have tried to get planning permission to put houses on there, isn't it?     And another application this week from Bellway homes -11/02315/RM/E Bellway Homes AndZurich Assurance Ltd132 houses and 19 flatsGrid Ref: 437372434626Manston LaneCross GatesLeedsLS15If this goes through we might at last see just what is or isn't under the site Risking popping off topic for a moment, that is presumably the same Bellway Homes that threatened to abandon the developments they had underway in Seacroft and Gipton if the council didn't bale them out with a huge chunk of cash not so long ago?Clearly things have picked up, certainly in the more marketable areas of the city...Personally I wouldn't buy a house on the former Barnbow site - it's co-ordinates will still be locked away in the aiming systems of a nuclear missile bunker somewhere in the former Soviet Union...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: chameleon wrote: raveydavey wrote: liits wrote: “area 51” Surely at Crossgates, it would be "Area 15", wouldn't it? And don't forget Rothwell is not far away...Funny though that there may / may not be contamination of the site when you consider how many times various people have tried to get planning permission to put houses on there, isn't it?     And another application this week from Bellway homes -11/02315/RM/E Bellway Homes AndZurich Assurance Ltd132 houses and 19 flatsGrid Ref: 437372434626Manston LaneCross GatesLeedsLS15If this goes through we might at last see just what is or isn't under the site Risking popping off topic for a moment, that is presumably the same Bellway Homes that threatened to abandon the developments they had underway in Seacroft and Gipton if the council didn't bale them out with a huge chunk of cash not so long ago?Clearly things have picked up, certainly in the more marketable areas of the city...Personally I wouldn't buy a house on the former Barnbow site - it's co-ordinates will still be locked away in the aiming systems of a nuclear missile bunker somewhere in the former Soviet Union... Mind you the Russians did produce some interesting maps of Leeds.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

According to the map, it takes in the well known concrete pill boxes at the old entrance to Barnbow.I assume that they will be demolished. Also this is connected to the plans to upgrade the LEEDS outer Ring Rd.

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

A lot of the area around the old World War 1 munitions factory was fenced of by the council a few years ago to stop the use of illegal off road motorcycles, and to provide sheep grazing.The old water tank was in a dangerous condition so it was filled in and is now overgrown with vegitation. It is possible to walk around the old site as there are plenty of public footpaths there.If you look carefully some evidence of the old buildings still exist

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways! Love these secret places Phill.... I've actually found a top secret (not no more lol) underground circular bunker in the well tended back garden of an ex Leeds Lord mayor, An Alderman, and Councilor of some great standing in his time. And the best bit of all-He was A FREE MASON He was involved in something big, i'll only refer too as the 'Esoteric Affair'Heavily cropped image attached to keep the location a secret until i investigate further...shhh!              Oh it's nowt Phill.....only that old nuclear silo thingy.....didn't need to use it after some crisis in Cuba a few years ago so they filled it in.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

The former Optare and Charles Roe site has been demolished ,also the site of Cables and Plastics has been flattend some time ago,so these might end up as housing estates.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

guitar man wrote: The former Optare and Charles Roe site has been demolished ,also the site of Cables and Plastics has been flattend some time ago,so these might end up as housing estates. Of that,there is little doubt.I wonder who got the lovely wooden reception desk of Roe's...was very chic and had an old bus bell built in to it to announce oneself ! Ring it more than once though and you would get a very stern look indeed from the receptionist !

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

Planning notices for the expansion of Thorpe Park and The Manston Link Road are being displayed along Manston Lane.I doubt that there will be much opposition to these proposals but it`s only the first stage of future planning to the whole area of Pendas fields ,Scholes and Whinmoor. Be prepared

Stree

Post by Stree »

Thats why I left Cross Gates. rampant development . Not just newbuilds either, just as bad if not worse was the amount of decent family homes been turned into multiple occupation.I lived in Marshall St and when we moved in all the houses were family homes, even the ones with business.s in. IE the chippie, and Longs of Leeds ( I grew up with Chris and Tony Long) By the time we left in 2007 the family in occupation was the exception rather than the rule, and no matter how good a tenant may be he/she will never invest in the property and area like a homeowner would.Rant over.Regarding the sign at the end of Manston lane.before that sign went up that field, or rather area of naturalised shrubland, had been used as a motorbike scrambling track. Much to the disgust of all who used the area for more sedate and peaceful reasons, country walks, dog walking, bird watching etc.It was the bright idea of someone in leisure services but the sheer weight of protest and complaints forced them to reconsider, and they agreed it should never have been used for the bike track. So they built a fence across the entrance and stuck a closed notice on it, which was duly ignored by all the bikers who now knew where there was a track and no supervision whatsoever, so the problem got even worse. Even the police were helpless as the bikers just took of over the fields to Whinmoor Garforth and Barwick rather than wait to have their bikes confiscated..............After this hopeless situation had been going of for many months and countless gates and barriers had been breached and destroyed, the sign went up.and guess what? Not a single biker since.Now I have been visiting that area for over 40 years and that is the only time there was any mention of contamination. and all enquiries as to what and where it was drew a blank. So I drew my own conclusions.As for the shapes in the ground in the field before you reach that area, I was told by the farmer who lived at Lasincroft that this field had huge banks of lights built into it as a decoy factory for enemy bombers in WW2. Just word of mouth though, but he should know its his field.The field behind the water tank at the top of Bog lane, ( Manston lane ends at the junction where the entrance to Shippen hall farm, the lane left down to cock beck and on to Scholes is Bog Lane)is reputed to be where the house of Guy Fawkes uncle lived.He was minor aristocracy and one of the few catholics still accepted in the Royal courts during the reformation.There is history of an old well in the field but I could never find it.The end furthest from the water tank though must have been the midden, the adjacent field has a wealth of very old crockery glass and earthenware along the edge when ploughed.I have found though, turned up by the plough in the surrounding field on the Cock beck side decent sized pieces of stone masonry,carved corbels and sections of window or door arches. The field had a gamekeepers cottage in, about 100 feet downhill, along with a couple of smaller buildings. These were brick built and when the field is fresh ploughed and dry you can easily make out the pink/tan patches where they stood.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Stree wrote: , the adjacent field has a wealth of very old crockery glass and earthenware along the edge when ploughed.I have found though, turned up by the plough in the surrounding field on the Cock beck side decent sized pieces of stone masonry,carved corbels and sections of window or door arches. The field had a gamekeepers cottage in, about 100 feet downhill, along with a couple of smaller buildings. These were brick built and when the field is fresh ploughed and dry you can easily make out the pink/tan patches where they stood. Very interesting post that stree....thanks for the share