Crossgates Manston lane

The green spaces and places of Leeds
liits

Post by liits »

The finished munitions were stored in brick built magazines located where the ROF / Vickers building is. They were, apparently, brick build structures with earth berms.As to the being stored underground bit... mass storage underground only really came about during WW2 and the advent of a mass bombing campaign by aircraft.While there was a danger of air raids from Zeppelins – both York and Sheffield coming under attack - the raids were nowhere near as devastating or accurate as they were to be in the next war and so there was no real need for underground storage.Even in WW2, underground storage was found to be a problem. The accident at RAF Fauld produced the biggest explosion in Britain when the mishandling of munitions killed sixty odd people. Ammunition Depots such as Monkton Fairly, Ridge Quarry, Brown’s Folly and others in the Bath quarries complex were subject to problems with condensation and air conditioning of the facilities was never satisfactorily sorted out.A bigger problem was production and, as was apparent by the explosions at Barnbow, mixing volatile ingredients was dangerous.Barnbow wasn’t alone in having accidents. White Lund near Morecame had 10 killed in an explosion as did Chillwell in Nottinghamshire. The most famous, though, must be Silvertown in London where seventy three people died and hundreds were injured.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

underground munitions storage is off the site of barnbow/vicarsi will tell when i get all the photos and information to be put on this site, they are clues there the underground storage was supplied by the small railway tracks remnants of this are still there leading to the populated area, as Phill says never usually bombed, and never did.As to the aerial photo taken was not from google as you can't the quality and be able to zoom in as good to look for clues.They are underground shelters on Vicars there at least 3 stories down i do know people who have been in, its just time an effort and not digging they are always more than one exit?
biggee

liits

Post by liits »

This, I must see!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

liits wrote: “area 51” Surely at Crossgates, it would be "Area 15", wouldn't it? And don't forget Rothwell is not far away...Funny though that there may / may not be contamination of the site when you consider how many times various people have tried to get planning permission to put houses on there, isn't it?    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

liits

Post by liits »

raveydavey wrote: liits wrote: “area 51” Surely at Crossgates, it would be "Area 15", wouldn't it? And don't forget Rothwell is not far away...Funny though that there may / may not be contamination of the site when you consider how many times various people have tried to get planning permission to put houses on there, isn't it?     !LCC reckon that the land isn’t contaminated and yet there are signs to that effect [with an LCC phone number] on parts of the site.I’ve been looking in the Lost Leeds Shops thread to see if there is still a Burton’s in Leeds. If Biggee99 turns out to be right, I’m gonna show my [edited for content] in their window – although I think the populous of Leeds will be safe for a while yet!

MrsG

Post by MrsG »

Bit random but about 4 years ago we had a team of 20 guys from the army SO3 Technical Response team staying at the hotel I work in and they spent 2 days at the site 'on manoeuvres' before they were heading out to Afghanistan. Apparently one of them was telling our male receptionist that they had been driving tanks and practising shooting so the receptionist promptly went and joined the TA!?!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

biggee99 wrote: As to the aerial photo taken was not from google as you can't the quality and be able to zoom in as good to look for clues.They are underground shelters on Vicars there at least 3 stories down i do know people who have been in, its just time an effort and not digging they are always more than one exit? Microsoft maps anyone?? lolI here the Birdseye features pretty neat eh Chameleon?? lol
Attachments
__TFMF_uxro1p55t314xdqkkhwghdzr_7cf6c8e3-710e-43bb-8e06-1a47c64c506c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uxro1p55t314xdqkkhwghdzr_7cf6c8e3-710e-43bb-8e06-1a47c64c506c_0_main.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

corblimey10

Post by corblimey10 »

re the 'Danger' signs. I'm around that area most lunchtimes and last year (maybe 200 they replaced a lot of the fencing on Barnbow Lane. I'm sure one of the signs disappeared then, never to return.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The 'site under investigation' sign was missing when i last looked two weeks ago. I wanted to photograph that one too lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Ive been talking to a mate today who used to work at Auto Quake(on the site of Vickers Defence)and he was telling me how they have seen the plans for the site and the 'alleged' bunkers of Biggees not only do exist but there is also tunnles down there leading all over the place!Theres also locked doors,Big Massive steel doors! I also asked him to try and explain to me where abouts this bunker thing is and he described the exact location biggee said!Heres a good one too by all accounts theres no post code for the vickers site????They must have got word that the Russians have tom tom's lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.