Cockersdale watercourses and mills

The green spaces and places of Leeds
jim

Post by jim »

Whew, just as I thought this topic was exhausted, a torrent of great information. Parksider, your logic on mill multi-use is inescapable, I shall have to slow down my thinking and try to be more mature (a bit late, but I'll try!). Thanks too for the info on Old-Maps. I've established that the Forge didn't exist in 1854, nor any iron working evidence, and I've sent for an 1892 map of that area to a much larger scale than I already have. Even includes my 1949-56 home!Back to Cockersdale. The number of mills I seek in a unbroken series south of Tong Lane is still five. That means that three are still unnaccounted for. Looking at the 1854 map which shows at least one leat clearly, it could also mean that IAR and I walked a damn sight further than I remember! The mill-leat-mill-leat-mill relationship was like a daisy-chain right up the valley.I could do with a walk up there myself, but have no transport. Any philanthropic co-explorer please indicate - I do have my own wellies!    

Si

Post by Si »

I have the same problem, Jim. I'd love to have a nosey too, but Otley's miles away! Also have own wellies!

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have just had a thought years ago i should think twenty at least when you took the top path in Sykes Wood about fourty yards up the path.There was what i would call an air vent it was round about eight foot across there was four or five courses of red brick still standing it was capped off with concrete i will have to have a look but i think it is now covered with soil.I cant see it being an air vent it being were it is but i would love to know more about it.The path is the one on the other side of the road from Roker Lane.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tilly wrote: I have just had a thought years ago i should think twenty at least when you took the top path in Sykes Wood about fourty yards up the path.There was what i would call an air vent it was round about eight foot across there was four or five courses of red brick still standing it was capped off with concrete i will have to have a look but i think it is now covered with soil.I cant see it being an air vent it being were it is but i would love to know more about it.The path is the one on the other side of the road from Roker Lane.     Sure there are no rail tunnels there - Phill could confirm that perhaps?

tilly

Post by tilly »

jim wrote: Whew,just as I thought this topic was exhausted,a torrent of great information.Parksider,your logic on mill multi-use is inescapable,I shall have to slow down my thinking and try to be more mature (a bit late, but I'll try!).Thanks too for the info on Old-Maps.I've established that the Forge didn't exist in 1854,nor any iron working evidence,and I've sent for an 1892 map of that area to a much larger scale than I already have.Even includes my 1949-56 home!Back to Cockersdale.The number of mills I seek in a unbroken series south of Tong Lane is still five.That means that three are still unnaccounted for.Looking at the 1854 map which shows at least one leat clearly,it could also mean that IAR and I walked a damn sight further than I remember!The mill-leat-mill-leat-mill relationship was like a daisy-chain right up the valley.I could do with a walk up there myself, but have no transport.Any philanthropic co-explorer please indicate-I do have my own wellies! Hi jim i can pick you up i could do with a good walk a week day would be best for me after nine. Back in time to pick my grand daughter up from school at three oclock over to you.    

tilly

Post by tilly »

chameleon wrote: tilly wrote: I have just had a thought years ago i should think twenty at least when you took the top path in Sykes Wood about fourty yards up the path.There was what i would call an air vent it was round about eight foot across there was four or five courses of red brick still standing it was capped off with concrete i will have to have a look but i think it is now covered with soil.I cant see it being an air vent it being were it is but i would love to know more about it.The path is the one on the other side of the road from Roker Lane.     Sure there are no rail tunnels there - Phill could confirm that perhaps? Hi chameleon there were drift mines just up Tong Road not far from this site would they have had air vents?

Si

Post by Si »

tilly wrote: I have just had a thought years ago i should think twenty at least when you took the top path in Sykes Wood about fourty yards up the path.There was what i would call an air vent it was round about eight foot across there was four or five courses of red brick still standing it was capped off with concrete i will have to have a look but i think it is now covered with soil.I cant see it being an air vent it being were it is but i would love to know more about it.The path is the one on the other side of the road from Roker Lane.     This vent is marked on the map, Tilly. It says, "Air Shaft."

tilly

Post by tilly »

Si wrote: tilly wrote: I have just had a thought years ago i should think twenty at least when you took the top path in Sykes Wood about fourty yards up the path.There was what i would call an air vent it was round about eight foot across there was four or five courses of red brick still standing it was capped off with concrete i will have to have a look but i think it is now covered with soil.I cant see it being an air vent it being were it is but i would love to know more about it.The path is the one on the other side of the road from Roker Lane.     This vent is marked on the map, Tilly. It says, "Air Shaft." Great stuff see my last post what do you think?

Si

Post by Si »

Yes there were, Tilly. I remember a large field near Tong being stripped of it's top-soil for this purpose (I think!) c.1980.This is the shaft marked on the map. On the Google Old Maps, there's a coal pit shown very close to this spot, too.
Attachments
__TFMF_apxhj255kr3gx045ol3q4ymu_19d56c3e-72c7-4bd5-92c3-d169253798a7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_apxhj255kr3gx045ol3q4ymu_19d56c3e-72c7-4bd5-92c3-d169253798a7_0_main.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 1635 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Si wrote: Yes there were, Tilly. I remember a large field near Tong being stripped of it's top-soil for this purpose (I think!) c.1980.This is the shaft marked on the map. On the Google Old Maps, there's a coal pit shown very close to this spot, too. It gets better and better with each post thanks for that Si as for Black Carr Woods i know every inch of them what a great area i live in.Ps Nan Whins Wood on the map i have always known it as SykesWood would this be a local name for it ?