Old Packhorse route through Calverley Woods

The green spaces and places of Leeds
RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

May not be of much interest but anyway....! Today I finally got round to tracing the old packhorse route through Calverley Woods - it was disappointingly easy; I should probably have tried it in midsummer when the vegetation is thicker!Anyway, the old route was replaced by Calverley Cutting in 1854 after which the locals were no longer allowed on the old route (the woods being planned to be developed) - they complained about the steepnees of the new route and the cutting certainly is a lot harsher and not really any more direct. The old route was lined with drystone walling much of which still survives.It is pretty much impossible to find from the bottom but the top can be found along the path that runs along behind the gardens on Clara drive. The stones crossing the path on the right of the first pic mark the top of the path. The path tunrs left and decends crossing straight through an old quarry. A little below the nice wall in the second pic, the path meets another (pic 3) which ends up in the same spot as the first but via a more direct and steep route. From then on, the path continues on down (inc pic 4, looking back), fairly directly and at a pleasant gradient before its wall appears to become a property boundary at the bottom and the path disappears. Modern paths keep crossing it but none are as nice or as well made!If you are going for a walk in Calverley Woods, this path is one of many interesting things to look for.

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

tobyjug

Post by tobyjug »

I'm quite curious about Calverley woods, and in particular Calverley cutting. Am i correct in thinking that the bottom of the woods start at the Parish Church at Calverley, where can anyone gain access please? As a young teen in the early 1960's myself and a friend used to wander around the cutting, but we accessed the actual cutting from Clara Drive, we had no idea that the other way would bring us to the Parish Church in Calverley. Venturing down the cutting towards the canal, we did discover what is now mentioned as the Hangman's Stone in the thread. Would the mentioned firework building of been in the opposite direction ( towards the Parish Church) from Clara drive? The only buildings we ever saw was like some old buildings down towards the canal, and if not mistaken in Autumn the main structure was visible from Apperley Lane. Although my health is not so good nowadays i would love to have a trek back to those good old days when my friend and I were youngsters. I live not far from Greengates at this moment in time. I was fascinated reading the thread from all those years ago but didn't recognise lots of places that were mentioned, as a teen it was more an adventure rather than the history of a local woods. Could anyone shed any light or if and how access to Calverley woods from the Parish Church is obtained nowadays, or where the bottom end begins from?ThanksTobyjug

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This is on the N.W. edge of the 1953 25K O.S. map
Attachments
CALVERLEY WOODS.jpeg
CALVERLEY WOODS.jpeg (170.52 KiB) Viewed 3968 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

And this is the "modern" version                http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=42 ... &A=Y&Z=115

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

@RFarrellNice work,i love stuff like that.The pics are excellent as well,nicely exposed and sharp
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Back in the early-mid 90's, that was part of one of our regular (circular) MTB ride routes, along with the old bridleway (believe it was a PackHorse route??) from Tong, up towards Fulbeck, and the track that shadowed the old railway embankment between Tyersal & Pudsey Edited; Thurs 27th FebKeeper Lane, I believe, after discussion with a friend