Meanwood Valley Trail

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

fell runner wrote: Can someone pinpoint where the old war bunkers are at Adel, we run regularly through the woods and I can't say I have ever noticed them. Are they anywhere near the old aqueduct ? Hi fell runner. The only one I know of (if there is another bunker I don't know of it) is not near the Seven Arches aquaduct.The way I would suggest to get to see the bunker that was used by the Leeds Permanent Building Society to store documents is to go to Stairfoot Bridge where it crosses Adel Beck on Stairfoot Lane. Coming from Alwoodley, immediately on the right just as you are about to go onto the bridge go up the track and stay on the main track. After a few minutes (less if you're fitter than me!) you will come to what looks like a disused small quarry. You will see a brick structure that has a locked metal door that if it was open would let you into the bunker that when I got in a few years back (the door was unlocked then) had two floors each with several passageways. I have seen mentions on Secret Leeds that there may be at least another level. On the ground above the bunker there is another structure that I think would have been used to put documents etc in and out of the bunker, but it has also been said that it was anti-aircraft post. The door seems to be always locked nowadays.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

beast wrote: From my running club at Adel we regularly run down the trail to Meanwood Park and then back up again with a final climb at Adel Crag.Always enjoyable,albeit tough !! Sounds like a nice run, I'll have to get up there sometime & try it

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

Leodian wrote: fell runner wrote: Can someone pinpoint where the old war bunkers are at Adel, we run regularly through the woods and I can't say I have ever noticed them. Are they anywhere near the old aqueduct ? Hi fell runner. The only one I know of (if there is another bunker I don't know of it) is not near the Seven Arches aquaduct.The way I would suggest to get to see the bunker that was used by the Leeds Permanent Building Society to store documents is to go to Stairfoot Bridge where it crosses Adel Beck on Stairfoot Lane. Coming from Alwoodley, immediately on the right just as you are about to go onto the bridge go up the track and stay on the main track. After a few minutes (less if you're fitter than me!) you will come to what looks like a disused small quarry. You will see a brick structure that has a locked metal door that if it was open would let you into the bunker that when I got in a few years back (the door was unlocked then) had two floors each with several passageways. I have seen mentions on Secret Leeds that there may be at least another level. On the ground above the bunker there is another structure that I think would have been used to put documents etc in and out of the bunker, but it has also been said that it was anti-aircraft post. The door seems to be always locked nowadays. think I know where you mean,we'll try and find it tonight on our torchlit run

Richard A Thackeray

Sorry to digress'Fell Runner'Are you in one of the local clubs, & participate in local events?? ('Stanbury Splash,' 'Withins SkyLine', 'Trunce')

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

Rich T, Yes I am with Abbey Runners based at Adel, and yes I have done the races you mention. Training hard at the moment for the Three Peaks on 30th April.And.by the way we did find the bunker in Adel Woods, fascinating !!shame you can't get inside it.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Say hello as you pass to me (and the dog) as you go through the gate on the decent from Whernside on the 3 Peaks Race!
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Richard A Thackeray

Sorry to hijack. Again! fell runner wrote: Rich T, Yes I am with Abbey Runners based at Adel, and yes I have done the races you mention. Training hard at the moment for the Three Peaks on 30th April.And.by the way we did find the bunker in Adel Woods, fascinating !!shame you can't get inside it. 'fell runner'As you can guess by my querying over local races, I too can be found on the hills when I get the chance.Sadly I don't feel I'm up to the Peaks yet (only been running just over 3 years), but I did the 'HolmMoss Fell-Race' last July (18 miles/4000feet of climbing) & suffered immensely from about mile 14.I'll be up at the 'Ilkley Harriers Trail Race' in May though (enjoyed their 'Moor Fell-Race' in February)- think I enjoy the (Bingley Harriers) 'Harriers verses Cyclists' best though (rode it in '07/'08, & ran it in '09/'10)I'm in http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/You'll find me on the 'FRA' forums under the name of http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/member.p ... ackerayAnd so you know who to look for, & say "Hello" tohttp://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=home&subtopic=photos&mode=prev&gallery=1102imrdw&photoindex=186&title=Ilkley%20Moor%20Fell%20Race,%202011&photographer=Dave%20Woodhead&backlink=none

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

I'm hoping to do Ilkley trail race too, you do know it is Bank Hol Monday now rather than Sunday. The Holme Moss race is a toughie I've done it in scorching hot weather and freezing cold weather too !If you can get around that you must be in good shape, try the 3 Peaks next year maybe

Richard A Thackeray

fell runner wrote: I'm hoping to do Ilkley trail race too, you do know it is Bank Hol Monday now rather than Sunday. The Holme Moss race is a toughie I've done it in scorching hot weather and freezing cold weather too !If you can get around that you must be in good shape, try the 3 Peaks next year maybe Yesm I know it's on the Monday nowIt took me 4 damned hours to finish 'the Moss', but I only really did it for the experience.I had expected to 'do' it in about 3hours, however it was a lot tougher (rougher!) than I'd expected.I could possibly squeeze into the Peaks with my 'qualifications' (previous results)Ran 'Trunce' (race 2, or 9) on Monday evening, if you've heard of those?http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

beast

Post by beast »

I ran the Meanwood Valley trail race today and spotted what I believe is called ' the slavering baby' an old stone water feature. Anyone have a photo of it just to confirm it please.