Cross Flatts Park Beeston

The green spaces and places of Leeds
onenorthernsoul

Post by onenorthernsoul »

Tyke wrote: If you go to the park below the football pitch and look up hill you can see the marks in the grass they are rectangular patches set at regular intervals that look plot size or they could be tiny fairy football pitchs of course. I know you're right, I just don't know what caused the marks. You'll remember that there was a rugby pitch for many years, facing down the park, but that doesnt explain those marks. Definitely not fairy mini football pitches though
We're all bald underneath

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Forgot to mention a couple of things, although I am sure both feature elsewhere on SL. I am talking about the Park Shop and the 'bogs' at the Dewsbury Road end of the park. Only one of these still stands as far as I know. Even for those who have no idea it would not be difficult to guess which. And the one that is still with us doesn't sell sweets anymore. There - a clue. Something else I remember which had to do with CFP is the bus services which travelled up Dewsbury Road from the city centre. I am sure I remember some buses terminating at Cross Flatts Park and can only imagine that was to bring people there especially. It will have been the number 2. I can remember buses displaying CROSS FLATTS PARK on the destination board.Maybe Blakey or one of his gang on here can throw some more light on this timetable idiosynchrasy. Or maybe it's all in my imagination. Might have been to service games at Parkside. You got off at Cross Flatts Park and walked to the ground. The old Parkside was quite a long way from any main road. I recall driving in from the Hunslet side and you had to drive down a dirt road and cross the railway tracks.Just a thought...I remember the bowling greens in Cross Flatts Park. When I worked for Asda we had a small office near the Tommy Wass pub and we used to nip into the park at lunchtime for a game of Crown Green bowls. That was in the early 80's.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="wayniac"]Might have been to service games at Parkside. You got off at Cross Flatts Park and walked to the ground. The old Parkside was quite a long way from any main road. I recall driving in from the Hunslet side and you had to drive down a dirt road and cross the railway tracks.We used to get off the bus at the Crescent cinema and walk down Parkside Lane to the ground

Si

Post by Si »

My father lived near Cross Flatts Park as a child. He told me that one day, a milkman's horse bolted on Tempest Road. It charged down the hill pulling the cart, and unfortunately crashed into a house opposite the T-junction at the end, killing itself. Must have been quite a mess. Anyone else know this story?

onenorthernsoul

That does ring a bell actually. How old is your dad? The incident might not have been as long ago as some might think, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. (For 'mind' read last night's beer ).    

Si

Post by Si »

onenorthernsoul wrote: That does ring a bell actually. How old is your dad?     76

onenorthernsoul

For some completely unknown reason, I'm quite sure I was told the incident happened in the 50s or 60s. I'm probably talking rubbish though, it often happens.

Si

Post by Si »

I'm seeing him today, so I'll ask.

Si

Post by Si »

Right, I've spoken to me dad, and after looking at Google Earth, he thinks the accident happened at the junction of Wickham Street and Stratford Street, not Tempest Road. At the time (1945 or 46) he lived on Hardy Street.

Si

Post by Si »

Si wrote: Right, I've spoken to me dad, and after looking at Google Earth, he thinks the accident happened at the junction of Wickham Street and Stratford Street, not Tempest Road. At the time (1945 or 46) he lived on Hardy Street. Accident occured here.
Attachments
__TFMF_ob5bic55m1ikbwi0qttl2w3a_f9e32690-2c63-4543-9c86-4a886c5a4404_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ob5bic55m1ikbwi0qttl2w3a_f9e32690-2c63-4543-9c86-4a886c5a4404_0_main.jpg (219.14 KiB) Viewed 3984 times