Cross Flatts Park Beeston

The green spaces and places of Leeds
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

See Street View on my previous post

Si

Post by Si »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Si wrote: Map of Cross Flatts Park, circa 1905. PS My great uncle was a member of the Klondyke, but he wasn't a miner. I've tried finding the club on Google and Leodis without success.     Klondyke is how the club is known locally.It is actually Cross Flatts Recreation Club and the entrance is on Barkly Parade. Thanks, Salt'n'Pepper. I've just had a look on Google and found that out! There's also some recent photos of the place.

Si

Post by Si »

uncle mick wrote: See Street View on my previous post Cheers. It's quite a big place, isn't it?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The cemetery on the other side of Beeston Road used to take up a lot of the park in fact.If you look on a pre 1880's map it should be shown on here. It was then cleared (much in the same way as St George's Fields were behind the uni) as part of the drive in the late 19th century by the parks and open spaces sub-committee to create more open spaces in leeds - "the lungs of the city" as it were.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Si wrote: uncle mick wrote: See Street View on my previous post Cheers. It's quite a big place, isn't it? Nice club that...was a member in the 70/80's...lived nearby on X flatts ave....also tempest rd. and waincliffes......Grew up as a young kid around there when living on cardnals...the fare on the 2 or 20 LCT's was 2d (less than 1 pence now) and used to get off near the park shop and walk up the path to school in the park.Anyone remember the school's dining room ? - was at the bottom of the park...you had to walk in all weathers at dinner time ! even if you weren't hungry.....happy days
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

kango

Post by kango »

Si wrote: This 1942 Leodis picture taken in the park, shows the construction of a static water tank.I wonder if the stones which were in the park had anything to do with this? The static water tank in Cross Flatts park was roughly about here. another was located opposite South lodge workhouse.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Bee ... 9Kango.The south lodge one.    The Cross Flatts one.    

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Does anyone know if there were any parts of the park given over for “Dig for victory” gardens. At the side of the air raid shelters there are some shadowy marks on the grass that look a possible plot size you cant see them on Google but if you are in the park you can see them when you have the right conditions.
Hunslet born and bread

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

There were (are?) allotments on the opposite side of Dewsbury Road. Its possible they started off as dig for victory beds
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

onenorthernsoul

Post by onenorthernsoul »

The last time I looked, that cricket strip was still there but had been covered some time ago with an all-weather type of material. Not that anyone probably noticed.I've never heard about Dig for Victory next to the air raid shelter 'mound'. I went to school there and have grown up (allegedly!) in Beeston but that hardly makes me an expert of course.
We're all bald underneath

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

If you go to the park below the football pitch and look up hill you can see the marks in the grass they are rectangular patches set at regular intervals that look plot size or they could be tiny fairy football pitchs of course.
Hunslet born and bread