Bye bye countryside

The green spaces and places of Leeds
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

The land was sold many years ago to the concern whidh is now Persimon Wimpey Homes. I am sure they are aware of their responsibilitites in such matters and ultimately will deal with it. We were more interested in learning whether or not they already knew and to ruffle a few feathers in public by letting them know that the local populous had a good memory!    This then will be a notifiable project to the HSE (under the CDM 2007 Regs) It may be worth asking the question "does the pre-construction information contain information on any possible land contamination or confirm that the contamination has been removed".

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

geoffb wrote: The land was sold many years ago to the concern whidh is now Persimon Wimpey Homes. I am sure they are aware of their responsibilitites in such matters and ultimately will deal with it. We were more interested in learning whether or not they already knew and to ruffle a few feathers in public by letting them know that the local populous had a good memory!     This then will be a notifiable project to the HSE (under the CDM 2007 Regs) It may be worth asking the question "does the pre-construction information contain information on any possible land contamination or confirm that the contamination has been removed". It will all come out in the wash Geoff

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Tucked away in tonights YEP (19/01/12, page 47) is a lineage ad, headed "Notice of Public Exhibition - East Leeds North Quadrant Residential Development".This goes on to announce a public exhibition of indicative plans for a residential development on an 81 acre site with associated neighbourhood facilities. The site is "east of Whinmoor between the A64 and the A58 within the council ward of Crossgates and Whinmoor".Plans will be shown at White Laith Primary School between 4.30 and 7.30pm on 24th, 25th and 26th January.A second exhibition will be held at Whinmoor Library on 28th Feb, 1-6pm, 1st March 9am to noon, 2nd March 1-6pm and 3rd March 10am-noon.The development is oddly to be known as "Bramley Fields" - not sure why as Bramley is on the opposite side of town. A cynic might suggest that this is due to some suit in an office miles away who doesn't know the area looking at Google maps and seeing the incorrectly named "Bramley Ring Road running nearby....The exhibitions are being run by Polo PR Partnerships of Harrogate for the developers - Persimmon Homes, White Laith Developments and "a local land owner".I thought those who might be affected would want to know....since the advert will almost certainly be missed by most.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

And actually a flyer through the door for this one Davey.Diffeerent this time though as it seems to include the entiree area identified in the Unitary Development Plan of 2001 rather than the descrete plot of Grimes Dyke, thus the naming perhaps, Bramley fields, as it takes in land of the former Bramley Gardens Sheltered Care Special Needs Unit on Skelton's Lane (the former remand home site).A distinct departure from before, is that the flyer now promises housing for the entire area wheresas the UDP identified much of the land for Warehousing/Light Industry, with a dependancy upon the A6120 Bypass coming into being first.I mentioned earlier that a geophys survey (ala timeteam style!) was being carried out in the fields south of Skelton's Lane shortly before Christmas. Things are moving on.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 8 of today's YEP there is short report on the indicative plans for Bramley Fields. In the report it states developers plan to build "up to 2,000 new homes over eight years". It also states "Bramley Fields covers over 200 acres", which seems to me to be quite a sizeable area so I wonder if the developers may have future building plans in mind.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: On page 8 of today's YEP there is short report on the indicative plans for Bramley Fields. In the report it states developers plan to build "up to 2,000 new homes over eight years". It also states "Bramley Fields covers over 200 acres", which seems to me to be quite a sizeable area so I wonder if the developers may have future building plans in mind. Aside from Grimes Dyke the land in question was identified as a protected area for future search which the UDP Inspector indicated should be brought forward to Phase 2 of the housing initiative, as the supply of Brownfield land diminished and, by 2012. This is the first early stage of the 'East Leeds Extension' under said UDP.It will take time but it is coming and thus the other future search sites identified will doubtless follow soon.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I wonder who will purchase the densely arranged, minimally sized "executive" homes that will be built here?You only have to look at the homes on the former Meanwood Park Hospital site (or those built in Swarcliffe as part of the regeneration) as to how tightly packed in the are.While more homes are undoubtedly needed, these won't be the type that are needed - the shortage is of social housing or of affordable starter homes - not mock Tudor des-res style houses starting at £160k.And without doubt there is no way the local roads infrastructure can cope with another 2,000 homes (4,000+ cars?) dropped onto them without massive improvements.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: I wonder who will purchase the densely arranged, minimally sized "executive" homes that will be built here?You only have to look at the homes on the former Meanwood Park Hospital site (or those built in Swarcliffe as part of the regeneration) as to how tightly packed in the are.While more homes are undoubtedly needed, these won't be the type that are needed - the shortage is of social housing or of affordable starter homes - not mock Tudor des-res style houses starting at £160k.And without doubt there is no way the local roads infrastructure can cope with another 2,000 homes (4,000+ cars?) dropped onto them without massive improvements. The infrastructure specification calls for a single roundabout access to the entirescope of the development which would be well placed at some point on the proposed bypass. The report also allows for an 'Alternative' earlier access being provided for Grime Dyke - which will be the one we are aware of.As for the density of housing, the one in another's back yard approach is demanded as a condition under central policy. Can't help but think these developments will become the tenaments of the future which few will want. (btw, £K160 for a new build of any thing much more than basic doesn't happen!).    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Not a new revelation but, one worth supporting perhaps?http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- ... 66643There are numerous sites where developers have had the utility companies install the infrastructure of their services ready for use on Brownfield sites only to put development on hold enabling them to say the work has started, the Brownfield land therefore being ttaken out of the equatrion.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

An interesting article.Given that the land in question was zoned for mixed use and that development was entirely dependent on the "outer" outer ring road being built to service it, I'm at a loss as to how they can now justify filling it with houses before the road is built.The trouble is that the council appear to be already taking a defeated attitude to it all. Past experience of my own with the council legal department (during the Swarcliffe PFI debacle) gives me no confidence in them either.It's worth noting of course that whilst Whinmoor is relatively well served public transport wise (services 4 and 56 are currently every 10 minutes for most of the day, 6 days a week), the new development will have negligible public transport with only the infrequent Wetherby services passing at the periphery of the new development. Of course the new development will have no direct access to the Whinmoor terminus, but will no doubt be cited on any plans as being "just a short walk away"...