Bye bye countryside

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Riponian

Post by Riponian »

I saw the article in the YEP and noticed it's new jobs, yeah, but new "retail" ones. As had been said, they'll just be shifted from elsewhere, so possibly Thorpe Park or maybe Crown Point will suffer the loss.It's not exactly well served by public transport, in fact we could really say it's not served at all if you don't like a half mile hike from the bus stop. The road layout won't be sorted out, it'll just be chaos and then everyone else will go elsewhere after the initial interest dies down.We've yet to see a bulldozer move for the new development Victoria Gate, so maybe it'll just end up as another one that's plans time out and have to be resubmitted.Maybe we should have a high tech type business park, not a retail one. One that'll bring work into the area, not a parasitic development.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Cardiarms wrote: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6068711 Thanks for posting the link.How ironic would it be if the council grant permission in order to get the first link on their precious ELOR (another scheme no-one wants) only to see Hamerson pull the plug on Victoria Gate? After all, why pay city centre rates to park when you can park for free just off the motorway?The series of articles relating to this are interesting. I'm surprised to learn that 4,500 people are apparently already employed at Thorpe Park and that the new scheme, if granted, will see 13,000 jobs created. To give an idea of scale, the John Charles Stand at Elland Road only holds 11,000 people.I wonder where these figures come from...? And how they can be verified or validated?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

The are estimates based on supposition, assumptions and wishful thinking.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: Cardiarms wrote: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6068711 Thanks for posting the link.How ironic would it be if the council grant permission in order to get the first link on their precious ELOR (another scheme no-one wants) only to see Hamerson pull the plug on Victoria Gate? After all, why pay city centre rates to park when you can park for free just off the motorway?The series of articles relating to this are interesting. I'm surprised to learn that 4,500 people are apparently already employed at Thorpe Park and that the new scheme, if granted, will see 13,000 jobs created. To give an idea of scale, the John Charles Stand at Elland Road only holds 11,000 people.I wonder where these figures come from...? And how they can be verified or validated? They can't, thats the problem.When the funding and planning for the East Leeds link road,from Cross Green to the A1/M1 link road,the council were talking about tens of thousands of jobs being created along the length of the road from Cross Green.As far as i can see there is been no new units built to house tens of jobs,let alone tens of thousands.Similar to HS2,which i do support but not for the spouted improvement to the norths economy,figures are calculated by number crunchers based on assumptions,those assumptions being wildly optimistic.Its a way of justifying huge investment.As far as i can see the only thing the council has got right has been the arena.As fo Hammerson,well the rubber stamping of the scheme and their objection to it gives them a get out of jail card for the Victoria Gate plans.Hammerson can pull the plug now if they deem fit,blaming the Thorpe Park scheme as justification for doing so.No one would be able to accuse them of leading everyone up the garden path,they can simply justify their backing out by stating that the council have ok'd a change in the playing field.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Oh the irony!As reported in the YEP, the council are fighting tooth and nail (and at no doubt considerable expense) to try and prevent the redevelopment of a brownfield site in Stourton, whilst forcing through plans on greenbelt sites that fly in the face of their own guidelines elsewhere in the city:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6098806
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Plans submitted for 700 houses to be built to the east of Scholes, on top of the 50 they're going to build next to Chippies Quarry...http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6515046Get set for gridlock on all surrounding roads....    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Lot more up Lawnswood way than I'd appreciated.Centurian fields - the land sold off by farmer John Walton of Parkway Fields Farm - roughly from Adel Church across the to the Lawnswood from built environment to ???The first phase is up but lot more to come.The university accommodation twixt Adel Lane and Otley Rd, not clear what planning has allowed ie is it just on the previous footprint of buildings or the whole lot sports fields et at.Anyway 2+ cars per house = a lot.The old Sandoz plant at Horsforth Calverley is coming on stream soon too. Redrow I think. Nice spot actually handy for towpath rides or walks to Saltaire. they'll surely need to do traffic light access to the ring road tho?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Jogon wrote: Lot more up Lawnswood way than I'd appreciated.Centurian fields - the land sold off by farmer John Walton of Parkway Fields Farm - roughly from Adel Church across the to the Lawnswood from built environment to ???The first phase is up but lot more to come.The university accommodation twixt Adel Lane and Otley Rd, not clear what planning has allowed ie is it just on the previous footprint of buildings or the whole lot sports fields et at.Anyway 2+ cars per house = a lot.The old Sandoz plant at Horsforth Calverley is coming on stream soon too. Redrow I think. Nice spot actually handy for towpath rides or walks to Saltaire. they'll surely need to do traffic light access to the ring road tho? Nice lot of development that Jogon, not forgetting the redevelopment of Cookridge Hospital, the potential development of Woodside Quarry and the Government Buildings site at Lawnswood which seems like a done deal (with the devil). Its all going to add misery to anyone using the ringroad at peak times plus even more strain on spaces at local schools, doctors etc. Mind you half the new folk up Adel I imagine will be sending their young uns to private prep schools etc.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

According to the YEP, the Campaign to Protect Rural England have joined the fight to stop the proposed massive building project at Scholes:The Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) says the proposed construction of up to 700 homes to the east of Scholes would be “wholly out of proportion” with the size of the village.It also argues that the development would be unsustainable due to “poor public transport connections, inadequate local amenities and huge volumes of additional road traffic generation”.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6686546