Garforth Zoo

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Kippax_Bird

Post by Kippax_Bird »

not sure if I have put this in the right category but has anyone else heard of a zoo at garforth. Think it was next to the traffic lights near the garage and the junction of Selby Road and Lidget Lane. I think it closed some point in the 70s not sure if they had proper zoo animals or if it was more of a petting zoo. Be good if anyone has any photos had a look on leodis but couldnt see anything!

jan8

Post by jan8 »

Kippax_Bird wrote: not sure if I have put this in the right category but has anyone else heard of a zoo at garforth. Think it was next to the traffic lights near the garage and the junction of Selby Road and Lidget Lane. I think it closed some point in the 70s not sure if they had proper zoo animals or if it was more of a petting zoo. Be good if anyone has any photos had a look on leodis but couldnt see anything! Hi Kippax_Bird,I vaguely remember the zoo in the distant past. You are right it was on Selby Road opposite Lidgett Lane. I think it was in the building right on the road side with low level windows. I'm sure I remember monkeys sitting in those windows !!!! Dont remember anything else though I'm afraid.
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

the zoo was in the group of buildings right opposite the end of lidgett lane. A lady called Olga still lives in one of the buildings and she used to have either lions or tigers which she used to walk around on a lead apparently in garforth main street. She was also well known for training perfoming animals. my better half used to go there as a young 'un as there was a playgroup/nursery and im always amused by modern insane health and safety standards being faced with a playgroup with lions and stuff wondering about. not sure what other animlas were at the zoo but there were definately big cats and monkeys.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

wow! you've strirred up a long forgotten memory there....i've heard tha's tale afore...i'm sure!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

slw

Post by slw »

The owners son has put a photo and some very brief info about the zoo on Facebook. (for facebook users search for Garforth - home is where the heart is group)The info says that there were chimps tea parties, parrotts, lionessesand kids rides at the amusements park.

carl denver

Post by carl denver »

My mum, Olga, lives next door to Garforth House now at 76 Selby Road. We used to run a zoo at 74 Garforth House with performing parrots, chimps, lioness, dogs, geese. Had some kids rides, haunted house, mirror maze, tree house, outdoor movie projector running woody woodpecker films etc. good family entertainment for a few pence. The zoo closed around 1975 I think and the house was sold in 1986. Need any more info on the zoo then feel free to contact mum on olga@garforth-house.com or google her "Olga Denver"http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-2816842        
event photography www.Crews-Inn.com