Adwalton Moor

The green spaces and places of Leeds
edlong

Re: Adwalton Moor

Post by edlong »

I'd echo the comments about it being worth visiting Adwalton Moor - there's quite a few display boards around the moor with information on the battle for those that haven't done their homework, and even for those that have, there's a sense of the lay of the land that you only really can get from tramping up and down it imo.

jonleeds

Re: Adwalton Moor

Post by jonleeds »

That whole area between Morley and Batley is worth checking out, as its the sort of badlands between the metropolitan areas of Leeds / Bradford and Kirklees you get a lot of overlooked areas with decaying old farms / factories etc.

I once came across a private railway in someones backyard adjacent to Brow Wood in Howden Clough. Its also where the old portal to the legendary Gildersome Tunnel once emerged close to where the Showcase Cinemas is located. Within a couple of miles of each other there were the portals to the Gildersome Tunnel, the still very much active Morley-Batley Tunnel and the Soothill Tunnel. The latter 2 portals are still in existance although the Soothill one is derelict.

Just to the south of the M621 I can remember years ago exploring a derelict farm above Howley Hall golf course that once belonged to Farmer Cartlidge who I believe was a big name in rhubarb farming. There was a locked shed inside which you could glimpse a few very vintage tractors which no doubt are now long gone.

Its still a little developed region with some interesting places to explore though. I know the Leeds Country Way traverses sections of this part of Leeds (if you can call it Leeds still as its well out of the Aire Valley watershed.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge