Park in Hunslet

The green spaces and places of Leeds
ggbix

Post by ggbix »

Hi,Does anyone out there remember the park located at the rear of the back to back houses in the Smeaton's off Sayner Lane/Carlisle Road, Hunslet?I used to live in the Smeatons in the late 50's early 60's and the park was brilliant, it was huge yet we appeared to be the only ones playing in it, all the streets were surrounded by heavy industry, WASS, Sellers of Leeds, Cox and Co etc. so that could explain why.It had a cinder race track around the perimeter (you only fell on it once) and swings and roundabouts in the middle and the famous 'longboat' ride, this used to scare you shitless, especially when you went for the 'locks' which almost threw you off the damn thing. At the top of the park I can remember the air raid shelter as well which still had discarded gas masks and helmets in and that was in the early 60's.Bonfire 'chumping' was great for the huge fire we had in November, jacket spuds, parkin, jumping crackers etc. could be seen from space!!!There are some pictures of the park on Leodis, search for 'Smeaton'Graham Bickerdike

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

ggbix wrote: Hi,Does anyone out there remember the park located at the rear of the back to back houses in the Smeaton's off Sayner Lane/Carlisle Road, Hunslet?I used to live in the Smeatons in the late 50's early 60's and the park was brilliant, it was huge yet we appeared to be the only ones playing in it, all the streets were surrounded by heavy industry, WASS, Sellers of Leeds, Cox and Co etc. so that could explain why.It had a cinder race track around the perimeter (you only fell on it once) and swings and roundabouts in the middle and the famous 'longboat' ride, this used to scare you shitless, especially when you went for the 'locks' which almost threw you off the damn thing. At the top of the park I can remember the air raid shelter as well which still had discarded gas masks and helmets in and that was in the early 60's.Bonfire 'chumping' was great for the huge fire we had in November, jacket spuds, parkin, jumping crackers etc. could be seen from space!!!There are some pictures of the park on Leodis, search for 'Smeaton'Graham Bickerdike Check out the photo of Smeaton Grove.The other short streets seem to be blocks of 8 back to backsThis one is weird - what are all those doors about???The only houses left in this area now are the ones opposite Tetleys Huntsman House across Crown Point Road........

trooper

Post by trooper »

The Parksider wrote: ggbix wrote: Hi,Does anyone out there remember the park located at the rear of the back to back houses in the Smeaton's off Sayner Lane/Carlisle Road, Hunslet?I used to live in the Smeatons in the late 50's early 60's and the park was brilliant, it was huge yet we appeared to be the only ones playing in it, all the streets were surrounded by heavy industry, WASS, Sellers of Leeds, Cox and Co etc. so that could explain why.It had a cinder race track around the perimeter (you only fell on it once) and swings and roundabouts in the middle and the famous 'longboat' ride, this used to scare you shitless, especially when you went for the 'locks' which almost threw you off the damn thing. At the top of the park I can remember the air raid shelter as well which still had discarded gas masks and helmets in and that was in the early 60's.Bonfire 'chumping' was great for the huge fire we had in November, jacket spuds, parkin, jumping crackers etc. could be seen from space!!!There are some pictures of the park on Leodis, search for 'Smeaton'Graham Bickerdike Check out the photo of Smeaton Grove.The other short streets seem to be blocks of 8 back to backsThis one is weird - what are all those doors about???The only houses left in this area now are the ones opposite Tetleys Huntsman House across Crown Point Road........ the park at hunslet i cant recall it having a name we used to call it the little park with a bike track around the perimiter i lived at galvin terrace which was in frunt of west yorkshire founderys where the big clock was on the topof the frunt building also vera lynn went to west yorkshire founderys to sing around the mid fiftys we will meet again she also came out into the street and sang to the local people .
w.littlejohn

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

Hi Mick Jones,You're right about the bushes, they were at the bottom end of the park and we just called then 'the bushes' used to play hide and seek and tag etc. The bushes backed onto Campbells where they used to store iron filings. Do you remember the big weird wall that surrounded most of the park? We used to 'shimmy' up the supports then walk around the top, got a bit tricky getting over the big 'cap stones' though.Most of my family lived in the Smeatons, my aunt, my grandmother etc. The people I used to play with were (If my memory serves me correctly) Paul Stead, Peter Harrison, The Phillips clan, Trevor, Gary, can't remember name of eldest brother, Keith Smallwood, his mother used to lock the park gates but we used to hide on the slide so she couldn't see us, think there was the Lush family, Paul and his sister, was she called Sheila???Do you remember the glass firm called Arnold & Stott close to the Albion works????My first school was St Silas and I can still remember it to this day, cried my eyes out, they even has small beds for the afternoon nap!! from there I went to South Accom. We moved in 1960 to the new Ebor Gardens estate off York Road, as the Smeatons were part of the slum clearance policy.

trooper

Post by trooper »

hicklingmick wrote: HI trooper..what school did you go to?Where was galvin terrace with regards to clarence or carlisle rds?Its just over 50 yrs since I lived in that area so my memory is a bit poor..I can remember though that quite a few stars came to WYF and the BBC did a programme there called workers something? Used to go play in east end park also which was a lot better and more fun especially with a bit of train spotting thrown as well HI HICKLINGMICK i went to south accom. then ellerby lane school i lived opposite wyf . just around the corner was the clarence pub, then there was a local shop next door . at the bottom of the street there was a picture house cant remember the name of it there also was a stone mason next door . i also went to east end park many of times . also halton moor , the good old days .
w.littlejohn

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

Right,The gates to the park were accessible through one of the Smeatons. the only way I can describe it if you travelled from Hunslet Road down Sayner Lane, the first Smeaton you came to on the left was the entrance to the park. Although the gates got locked, there were so many other accessible points, our parent's made sure of that!!! All the times I can remember playing in that park we had it to ourselves, we were always with the people who lived in the Smeatons no one else came close. ALL the Smeatons were surrounded by heavy industry so I suppose we were lucky. We used to build dens etc and the den would be there for months without them being discovered or wrecked. Once I roamed more than 200 yards I was lost, it was a new world. The farthest I ever got was the post office at the top of Carlisle Road and Hunslet Road where the New Inn was. These were hard times but very happy times, something that doesn't happen now, so many people take things for granted so much it's so sad. This new era of Xbox, PS3, Internet, Sky TV, the Big Mac, has totally DESTROYED family values and home entertainment. I would love to go back to the times when the only entertainment we had was of my father doing shadows of animals on the wall with his hands, my jaw used to hit the floor. And as for outside toilets, tin baths on a Sunday and Icicles in the bedroom, bloody fantastic I say, bring it back and stop spoiling these brats that haven't a clue about family values and hard times. Sorry I've gone on a bit!!!!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

hicklingmick wrote: It would have been good to see a map of the area in the 50"S Mick, I have a feeling one of the very kind and obliging computer genius's on here can post you a map of the area as it used to be in very fine detail..........I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, you do the same and let's see who provides?

Si

Post by Si »

Hi. I don't have a 1950s map of the area, but hope this 1908 OS one will do. The park isn't named, but the peripheral track is clearly shown. (Click on the red X to view.)    
Attachments
__TFMF_vek0yt45xxlr0n55r2h3m1fu_c9bf0030-bc22-4b44-850d-676d6a9f0746_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vek0yt45xxlr0n55r2h3m1fu_c9bf0030-bc22-4b44-850d-676d6a9f0746_0_main.jpg (253.64 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: Hi. I don't have a 1950s map of the area, but hope this 1908 OS one will do. The park isn't named, but the peripheral track is clearly shown. (Click on the red X to view.)     Morning Si - just scanned the map - beat me by a minute. (note to self - get up earlier)

Si

Post by Si »

chameleon wrote: Si wrote: Hi. I don't have a 1950s map of the area, but hope this 1908 OS one will do. The park isn't named, but the peripheral track is clearly shown. (Click on the red X to view.)     Morning Si - just scanned the map - beat me by a minute. (note to self - get up earlier)