Quarry behind Jimmy's?

The green spaces and places of Leeds
LS1

Post by LS1 »

In fact I'd go as far as to wager that Dolly lane is the road in the bottom right hand corner of the photo just peeping in!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Right - well the area I'm alluding to was just beyond the terraced houses that used to stand on Lincoln Road, north of Hill Street. In the pink area of the map, now covered by Jimmy's buildings.    

String o' beads

In this photo from Leodis the area I'm talking about is behind the Lincoln Green flats, top right. You can see the furthest blocks [Lincoln Towers, Ferriby Towers], then terraced streets behind them, then The Quarry.
Attachments
__TFMF_1nd2skzf3ptukl454bxqp2me_acb467b7-9594-4ac0-8d28-36805961401a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1nd2skzf3ptukl454bxqp2me_acb467b7-9594-4ac0-8d28-36805961401a_0_main.jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 3665 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Right - well the area I'm alluding to was just beyond the terraced houses that used to stand on Lincoln Road, north of Hill Street. In the pink area of the map, now covered by Jimmy's buildings.     My link to Leodis was way out - the other side of Stoney Rock Lane, but the reference to the map was correct.Just compared the one here with Godfrey 1906 and that shows two brick works and excavated areas, one on the far side of Dolly Lane and the other tothe East of the Union Workhouse, coinciding with your pink area, so almost certainly, clay.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Geordie LassBeing an ancient (you guessed!),I seem to remembera Brickworks and quarry,owned by Whittaker's,'40's and '50'sThis was situated in the area; Mushroom St,Cross StamfordSt/Roseville Rd. I believe Cherry Row/Dolly lane was on the other side of the quarry area. Does that sound like where you mean?Arry

String o' beads

LS1 wrote: I'll bet it's not you know, the big road in the middle is Roseville Road, not Roundhay, which was what I though when I first looked at it. If you look on your google map, it's only the other side of Dolly Lane so i reakon it was all part of the same quarry based on where your green arrow is (could be totally wrong but heigh ho!) Sorry I misled everyone with the green arrow - I should explain that on that map the green arrow should be in the middle of the pink area further up, since Jimmy's have built on said land since then. Perhaps you're right, LS1, and the quarry shown on your photo from Leodis is the top end of the same site but the quarry continued on 'this' side of Dolly Lane. And arry's suggestion seems to point to the area in your photo, the other side of Dolly Lane. You can see from 'my' aerial photo that the open land begins right behind Jimmy's boundary at the time.

urban rambler

Re: Quarry behind Jimmy's?

Post by urban rambler »

Just seen this old thread, but I remember playing on the grassed area at the top of Hill Street in the 50's. I understood that to be pitch which had been for Newtown Football Team, amalgamated into Leeds United after some scandal or other. Then there was the quarry, which at that time was being used for landfill by the Council.