Spring Wood, Guiseley

The green spaces and places of Leeds
sineadb

Spring Wood, Guiseley

Post by sineadb »

Good morning!

I've recently moved to the Westfield estate in Yeadon and last night took myself on a little dog walk adventure down Warm Lane, under the railway bridge and into the woods at the bottom (Spring Wood?).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the structures in the woods, towards the Guiseley end? Some big old gateposts, bridges, tunnels and what looks like a weir and millponds. Am I right in thinking there was a mill here at some point?

Thanks, Sinead

jim

Re: Spring Wood, Guiseley

Post by jim »

Welcome to Secret Leeds sineadb. Looking at the area on the "old maps" website, the 1893 1-2500 OS sheet shows a mill (disused), weir, and pond, and a further site with a weir and "island" that were very likely connected with another earler mill, so your identification is correct.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

sineadb wrote:Good morning!

I've recently moved to the Westfield estate in Yeadon and last night took myself on a little dog walk adventure down Warm Lane, under the railway bridge and into the woods at the bottom (Spring Wood?).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the structures in the woods, towards the Guiseley end? Some big old gateposts, bridges, tunnels and what looks like a weir and millponds. Am I right in thinking there was a mill here at some point?

Thanks, Sinead
Have a look at this side by side map, you can scroll about & zoom in & out

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by- ... ht=BingHyb

sineadb

Post by sineadb »

Thank you Jim and unclemick for your replies! I’ve had a walk around the woods today using both maps, fascinating trying to work out what was where.
Cheers :D