plevna

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

my wife's father was brought up in 'the plevnas'does anyone know the derivation of this name?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

fevlad wrote: my wife's father was brought up in 'the plevnas'does anyone know the derivation of this name? There towns called Plevna all over the world, wherever Bulgarian immigrants have settled in fact. I suspect it was derived from the name of the city where the Battle & Siege of Pleven occurred, like a lot of clutches of terraced houses built around that time. Such as colenso, Mafeking, Bloemfontein.There was always a "victory", or at least a battle, somewhere to be "celebrated".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pleven
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

thanks for thatindeed in my home town there's mafeking street, pretoria street. There was(is?) the alma pub in cas and so on. was thrown by the spelling.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: my wife's father was brought up in 'the plevnas'does anyone know the derivation of this name? my grandparents lived on plevna street...no12 i think.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

skippy

Post by skippy »

hi fevlad the plevnas were streets going off grove road coming down from penny hill towards pepper road i lived in pepper street from 1952-1962 when they were due to knock the old houses & streets down i went to live in a tower block in beckett st. but it was not a patch on hunslet
brenda littlejohn

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

skippy wrote: hi fevlad the plevnas were streets going off grove road coming down from penny hill towards pepper road i lived in pepper street from 1952-1962 when they were due to knock the old houses & streets down i went to live in a tower block in beckett st. but it was not a patch on hunslet cheers skippyI am a big fan of south Leeds

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Bramley4woods wrote: fevlad wrote: my wife's father was brought up in 'the plevnas'does anyone know the derivation of this name? There towns called Plevna all over the world, wherever Bulgarian immigrants have settled in fact. I suspect it was derived from the name of the city where the Battle & Siege of Pleven occurred, like a lot of clutches of terraced houses built around that time. Such as colenso, Mafeking, Bloemfontein.There was always a "victory", or at least a battle, somewhere to be "celebrated".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pleven There are "Colenso's" in Holbeck.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: Bramley4woods wrote: fevlad wrote: my wife's father was brought up in 'the plevnas'does anyone know the derivation of this name? There towns called Plevna all over the world, wherever Bulgarian immigrants have settled in fact. I suspect it was derived from the name of the city where the Battle & Siege of Pleven occurred, like a lot of clutches of terraced houses built around that time. Such as colenso, Mafeking, Bloemfontein.There was always a "victory", or at least a battle, somewhere to be "celebrated".http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Pleven There are "Colenso's" in Holbeck. Coverstation beteween two scotsmen:--Mafeking street!!-No its Mafeking street !!-Get lost,its Mafeking street,you dont live here!.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

OOOOH Rude!not even edited either!!! Bop!Get that stitched,Jimmy!