Besa bridge

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
fevlad

Post by fevlad »

how did it get its name?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: how did it get its name? WHERE IS IT?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Its in Hunslet just near the old station, wasnt there a bees nest near it when it was built!!    
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here it is right next to the Funeral Directors. I suppose it took its name from the street which it is on Beza Street.
Attachments
__TFMF_m32ka2553h3qyzqtjdftrn55_12106a2e-b543-40ed-ada5-88a5c92ed76e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_m32ka2553h3qyzqtjdftrn55_12106a2e-b543-40ed-ada5-88a5c92ed76e_0_main.jpg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

thanksbut where does the name beza come from?The area used to be a major engineering area, and I do know that there was a weap0on called a BESA machine gun, for a while I thought there may be a connection there, but the spelling is different, and the weapons weren't made in Leeds and the bridge pre dates them anyway.

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

It's called the Beza bridge, and its called that because the Beza Beck runs underneath it. The Beza beck thats runs through Hunslet is almost entirely culverted now. It used to run from the Hunslet Lake, under the bridge, along Midland Road, crossed Low Road and entered the Aire near Thwaite Gate.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The only thing I can find is from Wikipedia..."Theodore Beza (Théodore de Bèze or de Besze) (June 24, 1519 – October 13, 1605) was a French Protestant Christian theologian and scholar who played an important role in the early Reformation. A member of the monarchomaque movement, who opposed absolute monarchy, he was a disciple of John Calvin and lived most of his life in Switzerland."Not unusual thought for street names to seem totally random, see the Street Names thread for more examples of streets named after seemingly random people.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

frisbee wrote: It's called the Beza bridge, and its called that because the Beza Beck runs underneath it. The Beza beck thats runs through Hunslet is almost entirely culverted now. It used to run from the Hunslet Lake, under the bridge, along Midland Road, crossed Low Road and entered the Aire near Thwaite Gate. Is it an extension of belle isle beck that ran past Parkside?

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

The Parksider wrote: frisbee wrote: It's called the Beza bridge, and its called that because the Beza Beck runs underneath it. The Beza beck thats runs through Hunslet is almost entirely culverted now. It used to run from the Hunslet Lake, under the bridge, along Midland Road, crossed Low Road and entered the Aire near Thwaite Gate. Is it an extension of belle isle beck that ran past Parkside? Actually I stand corrected, the beck is not called Beza Beck its called Balm Beck.Balm Beck starts at Moor Rood, at the point where Belle Isle beck merges with the beck that run's parrelal to Dewsbury Road (I don't the the name of the other beck). The route of the Balm Beck ran through the Recreation ground between Moor Road and Arthington Avenue (which was once a boating lake!) up past Norwich Ave until it reached the Bridge that goes over the railway. It than ran alongside Midlan Rd, crossed Pepper Rd and Low Road and then into the Aire. It is difficult to find any trace of the beck now as it was culverted in the 60's, but there are a lot of photo's of it on Leodis.    

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

fascinating stuffso are we going with the 16th century ecclesiastic then?