Teh Ups and Downs

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

When I was in my early teens there was an area at the junction of Elland Road and the Ring Road, later it was Leeds Utd's car park and now it's an inustrial estate, but at that time it consisted entirely of small hills, we used to take our bikes there and ride up and down these hills - we called it the "ups and downs" anyone else?
Industria Omnia Vincit

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan - look in the 'Parks Fields and woods' section for a thread called the 'Lemi'. This has quite a bit about the'ups and downs' including an aerial pic.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wyorksau

Post by wyorksau »

I remember this piece of land very well. We called it the 'milky way', probably because the surface was relatively light in colour; it was over the ring road from Cottingley cemetary. We used to ride out 'tracking' bikes all the way from Middleton to have a whizz round the 'milky way'. This would have been in the 50's - early 60's.             Cheers     Peter F.
Peter F

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Trojan - look in the 'Parks Fields and woods' section for a thread called the 'Lemi'. This has quite a bit about the'ups and downs' including an aerial pic. TA
Industria Omnia Vincit