Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
parksider

Post by parksider »

I was brought up in the beeston area of leeds..can remember my grand parents saying..Galasses>>>>>>>bracesganzies>>>>>>>>jumpersmidden>>>>>>>>dustbinscoile oile>>>>>>>coal cellarfoisty>>>>>>>>>food thats gone offparky>>>>>>>>>cold

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Well this is a funny old thing this thread,i read some of the posts and think "Yeah, i said that" and the others i look at and think,no never.Yes i went to the original Brownhill on Harehills Lane,though it was in the 70s.Still i know for a fact,in MY personal experience that i never heard Laik in North Leeds,perhaps then there is also a generational aspect to be taken into account for the use of this word,if your father went to Brownhill then it is clearly a number of generations before i did.With so much change going on will it soon be a case that what we are discussing will also be a thing of the past,perhaps this need to be preserved somehow.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

I have been looking at this site for about six months and browsed the content with great interest. Finally this thread has got me to register and add my bit.I was brought up (brung up) in Potternewton where I was born in 1946. I had not heard the word laikin until I left school and went to work at Middleton Broom Colliery, which was of course in South Leeds. Other words I heard then for the first time were:arre lass - wifeyonder - over theresnap - lunchbairn - child/babyow do - hellonip us a bit off - can I have a piece of your chewing tobaccoodd up - just a minite or hold this or look upcock a pit - best fighterdown't ole - going under groundpuffler - pit top fitters supervisora guvy - a private jobwheres t' barn - where are you goingover't - over the ...slappy ale (a as in amen)- beer that gave you the runsand on and on!!Happy memories

ajboo

Post by ajboo »

Ok here goes,Fettlin............. Fix somethingPut wood int'oil...............Shut that dooroff cumden....... someone not from these parts, and unless you have lived in these parts for at least 150yrs you will never be a local.

ajboo

Post by ajboo »

also know what a half charlie is. In fact kept all the half charlies that were lobbed in my direction. Got enough to build a coil oil now.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Then we could go scrumpin - 'borrowing' apples from a neighbours tree, shortly after which you'd have to legit - make one's hasty retreat from the area!There's so many aren't there, but I'm starting to realise that alot of these phrases are not much heard these days.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

ajboo wrote: also know what a half charlie is. In fact kept all the half charlies that were lobbed in my direction. Got enough to build a coil oil now. Referred to as "A semi Charles" in more exclusive areas.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

I was born and bred Harehills and certainly remember Laik(ing).Funny how I can say but ca'nt spell any slang or dialect:1.Ginnel- Alley (or here in Lincs they say 10 foot)2.Sent- as in Saint Augustines school3.Holler- scrub or waste land (normally where one would find gypo,s)-is gypo,s one?4.Mischievous night- not so much a dialect but it seems to be a Leeds thing, would love to know if anyone as the answer.5.Proper- this seems to be a modern term as I here it all the time when I go back and visit the family.6.Chip oil- fish shop.7.Darn-down.

Si

Post by Si »

FarnleyBloke wrote: A number of years ago a few friends and myself met some lovely young ladies from london whilst on holiday in Corfu. After we got back and due to the inevitable holiday romances we decided to travel down to london to visit them. They planned a party in one of their houses and invited lots of friends round. Because we were staying at the house we all had to use the same shower and one of my friends was waiting to get in there when a "cockney" girl came out. He asked her if she had finished, (he actually said in proud Leeds dialect, "Ar we reet, or wot?") to which she gave him one of the dirtiest looks ever and stormed off. She could be heard for the rest of the night slagging the "rude northerners" off to all and sundry and to this day we still don't know what she thought he had said!! Just to add, how many people say Putsey and Bratford? I do.I've also heard "snap" called "bait" or "jock."Spice - sweets.Us - me/my, as in "Where's us tea?"Tea - dinner.Supper - a drink just before bed, NOT a dinner party!Spon - chewing gum.Nobbut - just (nothing but.)Agin - next to.Graft - work.Jubbly - "Jubilee" - a kind of triangular iced lolly.Sup - drink.Prattle - wittering.

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

To have a lag, or , have a slash........ to have a wee.Well chuffed......... happyBackerds...............backwardsForerds.................forwardsMy uncle used to refer to the back of his head as"the back o me fored."Sither old cock.............. calm down mate. ( i think that one is more south Yorkshire though)