Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Just love this old one....."tapped in't'ead".....or,tapped in the head.Not heard much nowadays but fairly common 30/40 years ago !Can't beat the old ones..
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Si

Post by Si »

If someone was not quite with it, they were doolally tap.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Si wrote: If someone was not quite with it, they were doolally tap. Yes Si,very familiar with that also.Our old works manager was called "chuffer".....he was always chuffin this and chuffin that !

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Si wrote: If someone was not quite with it, they were doolally tap. Hi Si, doolaly tap is an expression from the days of empire. Deolali was a British Army transit camp in India, very hot and very boring for the troops waiting for transfer. Just a bit of trivia.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks Johnny. I wondered where the word came from.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously,but there's a lot to trawl through !I just took the black bin out for (hopefully) emptying today and had a quick chat with an old lad down the street.I enquired how he was to which he simply replied "Champion"....I love the use of this word in that context.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Just got back from a bracing walk to the paper shop. The weather is definitely "Backendish" today.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

jdbythesea wrote: Just got back from a bracing walk to the paper shop. The weather is definitely "Backendish" today. Yes jd,a bit "nithering" !

jim

Post by jim »

Think it might tek up and rain.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

somme1916 wrote: Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously,but there's a lot to trawl through !I just took the black bin out for (hopefully) emptying today and had a quick chat with an old lad down the street.I enquired how he was to which he simply replied "Champion"....I love the use of this word in that context. Hi Somme, another term of well-being which I remember from far off days and used occasionaly was, on enquiry as to how you were the answer would be "Reet gradely".
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?