Why was (still is?) the Mint area of Holbeck so called?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
warringtonrhino

Re: Why was (still is?) the Mint area of Holbeck so called?

Post by warringtonrhino »

the area on the other side of Elland Road was called Sodom!!

polos

Post by polos »

I remember when reading thoresbys diary hoggs field is mentioned. Cant remember exact date but the name has been around certainly since around 1700

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"warringtonrhino"]the area on the other side of Elland Road was called Sodom!!

Don't wish to be flippant warringtonrhino but i have used that phrase on more than a few occasions whilst trudging up Wesley Street after the United have been walloped at home again.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:the area on the other side of Elland Road was called Sodom!!
Thanks for that warringtonrhino :). I did not know of Sodom!

Its location is shown in this section of an 1850 map that I have copied from the Old Maps UK website. I wonder if there was a Gomorrah ;).
SodomLeedsOldMapsUK1850.jpg
SodomLeedsOldMapsUK1850.jpg (91.53 KiB) Viewed 19067 times
PS. Sorry for the large amount of space with the map. I've still not quite got the hang of copying and then saving maps.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

RPaul

Post by RPaul »

I'd always thought the CWS clothing factory was called "The Mint" as per the previous post. I worked there in the early 1970's and that was the official address I believe.

Further to the post above, in the cutting room (all men in those days!), there was a matchbox full of cotton wool, and any severed fingers were to be placed in the box and transported with the unfortunate cutter to hospital. The men were still paid "danger money", a left over from WW2 in case a bomb denotated nearby and caused the men to slip and injure themselves.

Sputnik_57

Post by Sputnik_57 »

RPaul wrote:
Thu 28 Mar, 2019 3:25 pm
any severed fingers were to be placed in the box and transported with the unfortunate cutter to hospital.
And was there even any hope to sew the poor fingers back on? If I'm not mistaken, cut nerves can't be repaired, and the medical technology back then wasn't as developed as it is today.