Why was (still is?) the Mint area of Holbeck so called?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Leodian

Why was (still is?) the Mint area of Holbeck so called?

Post by Leodian »

Looking at some maps of Leeds I noticed there was (still is?) an area of Holbeck known as Mint. I've tried searching Secret Leeds and also the Leodis website but though they have mentions of the Mint name I have not been able to find out where the Mint name came from. I would be grateful for any help.

I have attached part of a 1968 1:2500 map taken from the very useful Old Maps UK website that shows the location of Mint. That name was thus still being used in at least 1968 though it might no longer be used for that area name now.
MintAreaLeedsOldMapsUK1968.jpg
MintAreaLeedsOldMapsUK1968.jpg (222.58 KiB) Viewed 16487 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: Why was (still is?) the Mint area of Holbeck so called?

Post by volvojack »

Quite some years ago one of my Uncles was a tailors cutter at the C.W.S. factory in Holbeck. the family always referred to him working "At The Mint", will ask his son next week if he knows anymore details. I think all that area at the top of Domestic Street ? Top Moor Side was known as this, but will check it.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

There is a Leodis photo of Mint Methodist Chapel with a number of comments about the origin of the name
See
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:arrow:

I believe it was because it was the site of the old sweet and mint factory.
The actual area seems to have been known as Hoggs Field, don't know why it was called that either.

Attachments
Hoggs Field.JPG
Hoggs Field.JPG (327.08 KiB) Viewed 16466 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Maybe this link to the Streets of Leeds 1853 will help. Where I live now was originally called Nova Scotia, no idea why though.

When you open this link to the Streets of Leeds 1853, press Control and F (Ctrl F) which will give you a search box, then type in Hoggs Field, then click on the arrows at the side to take you to the results, then do the same search for Mint, there is only one hit which makes it seem to be either a building or yard. I know that there was a Mint Chapel

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... s1853.html

This item about Mint Chapel on Leodis may also help, the first comment gives a view that it was because mint was grown in the surrounding fields

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

:!:
Attachments
Mint Chapel, Moor View.jpg
Mint Chapel, Moor View.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 16447 times

jma

Post by jma »

buffaloskinner wrote: ...
When you open this link to the Streets of Leeds 1853, press Control and F (Ctrl F) which will give you a search box, then type in Hoggs Field, then click on the arrows at the side to take you to the results, then do the same search for Mint, there is only one hit which makes it seem to be either a building or yard. I know that there was a Mint Chapel

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... s1853.html
You've lost me here. If I just look through the whole alphabetic list, "Mint, Holbeck moor" looks like a street name.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your help which is appreciated :).

On looking at more of the maps in the Old Maps UK website I noticed in that for 1850 it gives 'Low Moor Side' as the main name for the area but with 'Hogg's Field' also named. I also noticed either a short street blocked off at one end or perhaps a long yard named 'The Mint' which, thanks to the 1853 list provided by buffaloskinner, will presumably be the 'Mint, Holbeck moor' named in that list. The Mint name usage therefore goes back at least nearly 170 years.

Edit. I must type faster as your post jma came in while I was doing my post and I was unaware before I posted.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]Thanks all for your help which is appreciated :).

On looking at more of the maps in the Old Maps UK website I noticed in that for 1850 it gives 'Low Moor Side' as the main name for the area but with 'Hogg's Field' also named. I also noticed either a short street blocked off at one end or perhaps a long yard named 'The Mint' which, thanks to the 1853 list provided by buffaloskinner, will presumably be the 'Mint, Holbeck moor' named in that list. The Mint name usage therefore goes back at least nearly 170 years.

As you quote that the name Mint was there 170 years ago then is is more than likely that the whole area at that time would be virtually fields etc. so it is not unreasonable to imagine it being called The Mint.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

In the 1841 Census The Mint it is a district as there are 14 pages of The Mint. One example

Mint 1841.png
Mint 1841.png (112.84 KiB) Viewed 16395 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

OS 1953 map of Holbeck shows both Mint and Hoggs Field

Attachments
Holbeck 1953.JPG
Holbeck 1953.JPG (112.55 KiB) Viewed 16364 times