Where is Newley?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
harrym1byt

Where is Newley?

Post by harrym1byt »

My paternal G/G/Grandfather was supposed to have lived at Newley, but where is Newley please?

I have found Newley lanes and roads, but where is Newley itself?

warringtonrhino

Re: Where is Newley?

Post by warringtonrhino »

Did they live in Newlay ? between Bramley and Horsforth.
I think Newley is in N Scotland

jma

Post by jma »

I think the correct spelling is Newlay and I always understood it to be at the bottom of Pollard Lane, (the continuation of Newlay Lane Bramley) just before crossing the canal and river to Horsforth. I've just had a look at sheet 104 of the Landranger OS map which confirms that. I presume the spelling is connected with Newlaithes, as that form appears round that way too.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

A familiar landmark to me is Newlay locks on the Leeds Liverpool canal, situated between Bramley Fall Woods and Kirkstall Forge.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

warringtonrhino wrote:Did they live in Newlay ? between Bramley and Horsforth.
I think Newley is in N Scotland
Thanks all.....

I think it was probably misspelled. The Bramley area seems likely, as there were other relatives there at one time.

The Newlay was an item added by a Canadian to my family tree on the free 'Familysearch' site.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As long as it does not offend anyone may i suggest an answer as to the original question
"
"Up and down the City Road, in and out of the Eagle" ( Anthoney Newley )

jma

Post by jma »

Having always believed that Newlay was a pretty small area at the bottom of Pollard Lane, this thread has had me thinking. I know it's changed a lot since I was down that way eg the huge WDS Tooling site behind the Abbey pub is a residential development. I've looked at older OS maps and Newlay is always in that small area. Just going from memory on what's down there with a name, the Hunters Greave scout activity centre, twixt canal and railway includes Newlay in its address. Although the firm WDS is still in business on the Grangefield industrial estate at Stanningley, their website shows no history.

If the OP is interested in researching this further, I'd recommend looking at Leodis. A search on "Newlay" brought up 17 pages, quite a lot of the results being for things like Kirkstall Forge, with Newlay in the background and I've not ploughed through the lot but some are for houses where their family member may have lived.

http://www.leodis.net/searchResults.asp ... CURRPAGE=1

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I particularly like threads like this one as they show me just how little I know of Leeds. For example I had heard of Newlay but had only a rough idea of where it is. It has got me thinking of at least some of the areas of Leeds that I have heard of (sometimes through old Secret Leeds threads or seen on bus destination boards!) but which, like Newlay, I could not have definitely stated where they are. These are those that I quickly thought of without looking things up:-

Bank. Blenheim. Bramstan (an old SL thread). Camp Town. Ellertofts (probably now lost being part of Burmantofts). Hawksworth. Hough End. Ireland Wood. Moorside. Newlay. Newton. Scarborough (an old SL thread). Steander. Swinnow. Tinshill.

There will be others. Apologies to anyone who lives in any of those areas for my not knowing quite where they are, as I know I should do :oops:.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: There will be others. Apologies to anyone who lives in any of those areas for my not knowing quite where they are, as I know I should do :oops:.
I had to look up where Wigton Moor was when my sons football team were placed in the same league division as a team of that name. I lived in Moortown for most of my first 16 years and the later of those years were on the southern side of the ring road just west of the A61. It is northside of the ring road just east of the A61 betwixt Shadwell and Alwoodely
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

By the Abbey Inn is where Horsforth & Newlay station used to be. With Pollard Bridge being closed to traffic it would be a bit inaccessible now. There's an appraisal of the conservation area at http://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/newlay%20c ... 20plan.pdf which includes quite a lot of history.