Submit Your Questions

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

jonleeds wrote: I know due to the 100th anniversary the trend is to be interested in the so-called 'Great War' or world war 1 but personally I'd like to know more about world war 2 and the cold war period as my late grandfather was in the RAF during ww2 and he had a career in the RAF for the rest of his working life. Although I've inherited his ww2 and other service medals I've no idea what they mean or were awarded for. I've heard there are websites where you can look up ex-service personnels military records and find out what certain medals were awarded for but I've yet to look anything up, my mum looks after them for me so I dont know what they are as I've not seen them for years. Also I recently discovered my grandad was based at RAF Driffield out on the East Yorkshire Wolds during the early 1960s when a squadron of 15 Thor medium range nuclear missiles was deployed there. I only found this out after my grandad had passed away and he never spoke about it nor did I get the chance to talk to him about this. I'd heard tales from my grandparents and mum about growing up and living on the RAF base but mostly domestic stuff. The fact that my grandad was probably assigned to control a 1 megaton nuclear weapon at the height of the Cuban missile crisis sends a shiver down my spine and is probably a contributing factor in my unhealthy obsession with nuclear oblivion!As far as knowing if I have any distant ancestors who served or were killed in ww1 is concerned I wouldnt know where to begin, most of these genealogy websites seem to charge a fee to search through records for births and deaths and its not something I'm all that interested in finding out about. Sounds like an interesting service the museum are offering though. Jon, really there are only two ways to find out if you had someone in the Great War (BTW the "Great relates to the size and number of combatants as opposed to anything to do with righteousness,in fact the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, the pre cursor to the First World War was known at the time as the Great War).Number 1, ask elderley realtives about any known relatives who may have been inolved.Number 2, research your family tree. When you get to a generation where you have males being born between say 1880 and 1901 and who are still alive in the 1911 census then look at these individuals to see if they served.It is more than likely that you will have, perhaps we could offer some help?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

LeedsMuseums

Post by LeedsMuseums »

Hi Chris, I referred your question to Leeds Libraries Service and they will be in touch soon. All. the best

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Shame Leeds Museums couldn't help to "pursuade" Dysons to donate the "Skulls" to the museum, especially as they could well be from Thomas Clavells chapel or indeed the medieaval parish church.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report about the event on page 15 of today's YEP. The report notes that Leeds City Museum "is hosting a one-day event today as part of this year's First World War Commemorations... a host of experts will be on hand at the event, which will run from 11am to 4pm...". It is a worthy event but it does seem somewhat pointless of the YEP to run the report on the day that the event is held!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I spent three hours plus at the Event today and it was very worthwhile and interesting. There were some good displays with memorabilia and experts on hand, and I was able to give a few facts to one or two folks as my Dad was in the Leeds Pals. There was an excellent and well attended hour long question and answer session with a panel of six dignitaries from various places. Microphones were quickly handed to members of the audience who were brave enough to address the panel and the audience - I did not partake as no way could I do any public speaking, even informally like that.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Probably must have seen you as i also went.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

cnosni wrote: Probably must have seen you as i also went. Yes I was there from about Noon until nearly half past three - what a shame we aren't yet acquainted or we could have had a natter.The YEP chap and the lady from the Nidderdale Trust took my number and would like to ring me for any more facts I can give them sometime. Told them both OK, but you'll have to persevere as I'm out and about nearly all the time !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

BLAKEY wrote: cnosni wrote: Probably must have seen you as i also went. Yes I was there from about Noon until nearly half past three - what a shame we aren't yet acquainted or we could have had a natter.The YEP chap and the lady from the Nidderdale Trust took my number and would like to ring me for any more facts I can give them sometime. Told them both OK, but you'll have to persevere as I'm out and about nearly all the time !! Were you not wearing your 'Secret Leeds' badges? I've got mine on my camera bag at all times, but have yet to be stopped by a fellow member...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

raveydavey wrote: BLAKEY wrote: cnosni wrote: Probably must have seen you as i also went. Yes I was there from about Noon until nearly half past three - what a shame we aren't yet acquainted or we could have had a natter.The YEP chap and the lady from the Nidderdale Trust took my number and would like to ring me for any more facts I can give them sometime. Told them both OK, but you'll have to persevere as I'm out and about nearly all the time !! Were you not wearing your 'Secret Leeds' badges? I've got mine on my camera bag at all times, but have yet to be stopped by a fellow member... Don't have one yet I'm afraid - fingers crossed for October !!