Argie - Sorry if it's been answered before!

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Hi all, I'm sure this must have been answered before, I can't find it if so. Who or what are the Argies named after? I'm heading to the archives soon to do my specific house history, which may tell me the answer (the builder?), but does anyone know?Thanks!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to the site NewShoes.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Thanks! I've been lurking around here for a long time....!

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I've often wondered this, also whether it should be pronounced with a hard or soft G.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

dsco wrote: I've often wondered this, also whether it should be pronounced with a hard or soft G. Pronounced I think almost universally with a hard "G" - certainly was by me when I lived there, and by all the locals too.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

That's how I've always said it, but I have no idea why. A quick Google didn't turn up anything useful, but I did find this gem of a curryhouse in New Zealand along the way: http://www.arjeebhajee.co.nz/.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

NewShoes

Post by NewShoes »

Very odd, I'll let you know if I find anything in the archive!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I have looked in the 19th Century newspapers & drew a blank. As for Argie been the surname of the builder there a very few examples mostly in Ireland

Magpie

Re: Argie - Sorry if it's been answered before!

Post by Magpie »

I lived on Argie Avenue for a time in the 80s, and have always understood it to be a hard G. I've often wondered about the origin, too.

NewShoes

Re: Argie - Sorry if it's been answered before!

Post by NewShoes »

Hm, so I went to the archive, only to find nothing useful! The land all round Argie Rd/Sowood/Bankfield was sold off in 1896-7 by William Henry Eagland and Ambrose Edmund Butler. When the land was sold the streets were 'intended to be called', and were marked on the accompanying map. Bankfield was the name of Eagland's big house on Burley Road... I couldn't find any info for Eagland buying the land. I also, on the off chance, checked the indexes for anyone called Argie doing any buying and selling between 1849 and 1900, nothing!

Few Mr Argies in Ireland at the time, but that's about it!