Black Pudding

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Can anyone tell me were this small piece of boggy ground at the bottom end of Middleton woods got its name from.

big s

Post by big s »

Festwerfer wrote: Can anyone tell me were this small piece of boggy ground at the bottom end of Middleton woods got its name from. cos it looked like soggy black pudding.
at least until the world stops going round.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

You would have thought that but I remember long ago being told it was something more than just that, I just cant remember what the tale was.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

MMMM - fried black pudden, eggs and bacon for breakfast...happy memories!Most countries have their own version of black pudding, but none so good as found in Yorkshire!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

sick puppies the lot of youduuuuuurty

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

So anyway back to my original question.....

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Scandy Bramley wrote: MMMM - fried black pudden, eggs and bacon for breakfast...happy memories!Most countries have their own version of black pudding, but none so good as found in Yorkshire! i'll have to tell thee tha same as i tell these lot down 'ere in shandy land.i am a yorkshire man not a lancastrian.........they make black pudding not us!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

wiggy wrote: i'll have to tell thee tha same as i tell these lot down 'ere in shandy land.i am a yorkshire man not a lancastrian.........they make black pudding not us!! Reet - done some research...Black pudden in Britain was first made in Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis. However mentions of blood sausage are to be found in ancient Greek history and as I said above, most cultures have a version of black pudden.And the best black pudden ever is made in Keighley, at Jack Scaife's. Youll be telling me mushy peas are lancastrian, next!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

black pudding, mushy peas.....sick sick sickit'll be bloody custard next...

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

sulkycat wrote: black pudding, mushy peas.....sick sick sickit'll be bloody custard next... Not a big custard fan..but what the 'eck is up wi' black pudden and mushy peas? Pork growlers wi' mushy peas from Leeds market! MMMM! Oh, how I miss them....