Whitecote

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
deano_bramley

Post by deano_bramley »

An old man in the pub once told me that whitecote was called this because there was two farms in close proximity and so they didnt get there sheep mixed up one farmers sheep had a whitecote and the others had some form of red dye on it leading to the farm being called redcote? something like that anyway

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

N

stevief

Post by stevief »

JanCee wrote: Nice tale, but disputed by this: http://www.bramleyhistory.co.uk/gowsha- ... .htm'...If you live in the Whitecote of Bramley, did you know that troops supporting King Charles I, during the Civil War, camped in the area where you now live? Unsurprisingly, they wore white coats – hence the area from then onwards being known as ‘Whitecote’. The Civil War between King Charles I, and his supporters the Cavaliers (The Royalists) and Oliver Cromwell and his Parliamentarians (The Roundheads, also known as Redcotes), came about due to the King believing in ‘the divine right of Kings’, i.e. himself. In 1629, following Parliament’s impeachment of the Duke of Buckingham, he took the step of dissolving Parliament itself and imposed the taxes which Parliament itself had refused to sanction. This was the beginning of an eleven-year period when the King, alone, ruled the country...' According to the dictionary 'Cote' is a stall,shed or shelter especially for birds or animals.So I tend to favour the farming theory,althoughthe same confusion occures between 'cote' and 'coat'.