Currie Entry

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

Leodian wrote: Hi polo.What is the date of the map please. Hi Leodian the date is 1725.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

polo wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi polo.What is the date of the map please. Hi Leodian the date is 1725. Cheers polo. As the Leeds Mercury was being published in 1725 I wonder if my earlier tentative suggestion that the "Currie" in Currie Entry may be a corruption of the "cury" in "Mercury" could be right. I have not yet though been able to find out if the Leeds Mercury site was there in 1725, though it definitely was during at least some of the 1800s.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What's "G" on the key to the map? Can't find a legible copy on the internet.. Maybe that would be a clue?

polo

Post by polo »

Im going to email the thoresby society theyve been able to help me in the past

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Leodian - sorry but I think your Mercury/Currie link is straying into what Capt Mainwaring would call 'The realms of fantasy'.The words Currie and Currier (hence why Currie or Curry is an English surname) refer to working in the leather and tanning industry - I humbly suggest the answer lies in this. Alternatively an even older meaning of the word refers to Cookery. The first known English recipe book (c1390) was called "The Forme of Cury"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

drapesy wrote: Leodian - sorry but I think your Mercury/Currie link is straying into what Capt Mainwaring would call 'The realms of fantasy'.The words Currie and Currier (hence why Currie or Curry is an English surname) refer to working in the leather and tanning industry - I humbly suggest the answer lies in this. Alternatively an even older meaning of the word refers to Cookery. The first known English recipe book (c1390) was called "The Forme of Cury" Fair enough drapesy, but I think your accusation that my suggestion is in "'The realms of fantasy'" is harsh.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

polo

Post by polo »

Strangley the location is near what would become the south market or leather market. Also near the tenters but all this is well before and i doubt a bulding as grand as that would be in the leather trade however its all just guesswork on my part.

polo

Post by polo »

so iv'e emailed the Thoresby society and this is what they've had to sayThoresby Library2:03 PM (15 hours ago)to me This just an interim reply as the Librarians are away. I don't know who or what 'Currie' was but I think it's likely that the 'entry' runs along the same line as Duncan Street. The house was Alderman Atkinson's. There's a drawing and description of it in Maurice Beresford's 'East End, West End', pp.45-46.Hope this will be some help.Peter Meredith,Thoresby Society Library.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

So that is what the "G" was on the map.

kango

Post by kango »

A bit of a clutching at straws long-shot but could the following wikipedia entry have some bearing?"There is no accepted derivation of the name Currie but it is possibly from the Scottish Gaelic word curagh/curragh, a wet or boggy plain, or from the Brythonic word curi, a dell or hollow. " EDIT A further search reveals that the word currie could also be a derivation of coria the latin plural of corium meaning amongst other things skin hide or leather, which I suppose would tie in with the area.