Name that place....

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hoping that I have not answered this too soon to spoil others (assuming I'm correct) but as Dudley is a town in the Black Country then I'm guessing the answer may be Blackmoor (which is an area not far from where I live and so why I thought of it!). For a while I thought of Dudley Moore but if it exists then Mooremoor was not a place I had heard of!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: Hoping that I have not answered this too soon to spoil others (assuming I'm correct) but as Dudley is a town in the Black Country then I'm guessing the answer may be Blackmoor (which is an area not far from where I live and so why I thought of it!). For a while I thought of Dudley Moore but if it exists then Mooremoor was not a place I had heard of! That fits but it isn't the answer I was thinking of. But you could be closer than you think.Your answer lies to the east...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: Hoping that I have not answered this too soon to spoil others (assuming I'm correct) but as Dudley is a town in the Black Country then I'm guessing the answer may be Blackmoor (which is an area not far from where I live and so why I thought of it!). For a while I thought of Dudley Moore but if it exists then Mooremoor was not a place I had heard of! That fits but it isn't the answer I was thinking of. But you could be closer than you think.Your answer lies to the east... This is most intriguing now.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: Hoping that I have not answered this too soon to spoil others (assuming I'm correct) but as Dudley is a town in the Black Country then I'm guessing the answer may be Blackmoor (which is an area not far from where I live and so why I thought of it!). For a while I thought of Dudley Moore but if it exists then Mooremoor was not a place I had heard of! That fits but it isn't the answer I was thinking of. But you could be closer than you think.Your answer lies to the east... This is most intriguing now. Another clue: it lies just north of a village that you might also find in Bradford....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

It's obvious now you say! Nevermind.How about this one......It could be Dudley, on a Moor? How about Arthursdale?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: It's obvious now you say! Nevermind.How about this one......It could be Dudley, on a Moor? How about Arthursdale? Spot on - well done! It's the area to the north of Scholes.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: It's obvious now you say! Nevermind.How about this one......It could be Dudley, on a Moor? How about Arthursdale? Spot on - well done! It's the area to the north of Scholes. Hi raveydavey.Could you please explain why it is Arthursdale. I perhaps should be for not knowing what may be obvious to everyone else!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not obvious to me..

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Dudley Moore starred in the 1981 film "Arthur" and the 1988 film "Arthur II".I got the Scholes connection but couldn't put two and two together for the rest.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The clue breaks down as Dudley Moore - famous for his roles in Arthur, and a dale can be another name for "moor" giving us Arthursdale.This might give some background to the name:http://www.barwickinelmethistoricalsoci ... /8223.html
Attachments
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 3199 times