Name that place....

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

As things are a little quiet around here, how about a quiz?There are lots of places around the Leeds district with unusual names, or names that have fallen out of common use or are simply not widely known.Here's one to start us off...It sounds a bit odd - or like should have Geordie neighbours...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Crumbs I'm stumped with that,Golden Acre Park?

liits

Post by liits »

Sodom!? [an area of Holbeck Moor - apparently]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Your answer lies further North
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder if it is Weardley (Weird...) but if so I don't see the Geordie bit.During a walk last Thursday just before I reached Weardley I saw a number of Red Kites being fed bits of sausage rolls! The birds seemed willing to take the pieces.     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Something to do with monkey hangers?
Come on Leeds United!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I'm always confused about the pronounciation of Harewood House. I've always said "Hare-Wood" which is how its spelled, however I've heard many folk, especially posh types pronounce it as "Har-wood". Who knows..? I feel daft saying "Harwood" as if I'm putting on heirs and graces so I stick with "Hare-wood", even if its not correct.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I live in Nova Scotia, so where is that in Leeds?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

jonleeds wrote: I'm always confused about the pronounciation of Harewood House. I've always said "Hare-Wood" which is how its spelled, however I've heard many folk, especially posh types pronounce it as "Har-wood". Who knows..? I feel daft saying "Harwood" as if I'm putting on heirs and graces so I stick with "Hare-wood", even if its not correct. jonleeds, I think I'm correct in saying that the Harwoods live at Harewood House. Though if anyone says different I won't argue.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

buffaloskinner wrote: I live in Nova Scotia, so where is that in Leeds? Middleton / Belle Isle where the Newhalls are now