Scabbadonia Lane

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I noticed this when googling during the Zulu Street thread.It's listed in the 1853 directory as aslo being in the Newtown district.http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... 3.htmlWhat on earth can this street have been named after? I can't imagine any local worthy would have had such a surname?

polo

Post by polo »

Thats a reet name that is a far cry from the one i found other day simply called "off st"

jim

Post by jim »

polo wrote: Thats a reet name that is a far cry from the one i found other day simply called "off st" Ah, that would be devoted to parking then.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

This is an interesting one ,it would appear to derive from Scabba as there is a Scabba Wood in Sprotborough and Scabba Wath in Swaledale.I was unable to access etymological sources fully from the work PC but from what i found it seems to derive possibly from a word meaning splash.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

simong

Post by simong »

I grew up near Scabba Wood and local history had it that it was derived from scaeb, which in Anglo-Saxon is a sore or wound, as there is a limestone cliff there which has been mined as a quarry for a good 300 years and probably since Anglo-Saxon times. However there is also an overlook onto the River Don there which would also make 'splash' a possibility.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Interesting.I've found that Scabba is also used as an alternative term for a scabbard.