GAOLL

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
polo

Post by polo »

after using the site map as my screensaver im innadvertantley looking at it all the time and noticed near the corn ex and new market place what should be part of call lane is marked GAOLL.I know this spelling is an old term for "JAIL" minus one L but to my knowledge there never was a jail there at any point can anyone shed any light on this?

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Looks like it says GAOL L. >>> so maybe GAOL LANE. Where Crown St. is now?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The Leeds Guide of 1806 page 65 refers to The prison on Kirkgate as being a miserable place with cells for 5 or 6 people.same place?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Given this a 1922 map of Leeds, would the 1806 gaol still have been there then?It looks like what is now an extension of Call Lane. Are there any other references to Gaol Lane? I've not heard it called that before, though it doesn't mean it wasn't!!!!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

here is an excerpt from our Inns & Pubs of Kirkgate thread relating to Kirkgate prison :The White Swan.This ancient inn is shown on Cossin's famous 1725 plan of Leeds. It was on the south side of the corner of Briggate and Kirkgate. Cossin's shows the 'New Prison' on Kirkgate to be adjacent to the White Swan. A passageway is shown running from Briggate along the south side of the White Swan and the prison, it then turns north and exits into Kirkgate approximately opposite the site of the 'Golden Cock'.I posted it to save people wading through the rest to find this bit,apologies to the original poster as i neglected to note who posted it on that thread.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

polo

Post by polo »

If the jail was opposite this inn on the corner of briggate and kirkgate it still wouldnt be near call lane though even by todays standards.You would still have to travel from briggate to call lane which ever route you took or have i got my bearings wrong?If any one figures this out where do you think in todays terms the jail would be?If its subterranean it could still be buried hehe heading towards the tunnels thread here

polo

Post by polo »

Found thishttp://www.leodis.net/GuidedTour.aspx?ORDER=1&ID=22the info on this one is very scarce

polo

Post by polo »

And this http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leeds/hi/pe ... 69.stmOver the years it has been home to a prison, a museum and up until the 19th century was a fashionable residential district for Leeds' Id love to know where these sources come from maybe the leeds guide do you know where i can read old leeds guides id be very intresed in them

LS1

Post by LS1 »

polo wrote: Found thishttp://www.leodis.net/GuidedTour.aspx?ORDER=1&ID=22the info on this one is very scarce That would place it around here. In relation to street named "Gaol" it seems to be in the wrong direction.I have no access to other maps at the moment, does anyone have anything pre 1922 and post by a few years that would indicate when the name change came?
Attachments
Kirkgate.jpg
Kirkgate.jpg (483.32 KiB) Viewed 4194 times

jim

Post by jim »

Very strange . Just checked the various years on the "old-maps" website (coordinates 430350, 433450) and all of them give "Call Lane" for the road section in question. Perhaps the answer to the conundrum is that GAOLL on the 1922 map is a misspelling of Call Lane?Maps checked:-1850 1-10561893 1-25001908 1-25001910 1-5001921 1-2500